Lazing the days away


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Kaokoland
October 27th 2009
Published: October 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This was the perfect place to unwind. White-water rafting and fishing is available for those who feel more energetic but I was perfectly happy to just sit and listen to the birds or watch the agamas and squirrels darting about, doing nothing much more energetic than taking a refreshing dip in the pool from time to time. A sundowner cruise on the river was a chance to see it in a different mood and get some sunset photographs.

We did go out one noon time on a bird watching walk, which seemed a little crazy in the full glare of the mid-day sun but it was the best time to spot the Cinderella Waxbill which only lives in a very localized area of the Namibian and Angolan banks of the Kunene river. Fortunately we did get to see the Cinderella Waxbill, so our effort was not in vain. We also got a chance to visit a Himba family which we were in two minds about. As interested as we were to see how they lived we were anxious that they might be uncomfortable with this form of ‘cultural tourism’. We were assured that the family was very comfortable with taking tourists into their home and this certainly seemed to be the case.

We tried out both the rustic and more comfortable accommodation at the lodge and found both of an acceptable standard. If I ever felt guilty about not doing anything I only had to look at the folk in the camp site who seemed to spend all day sitting and looking out at the view. For my own part I never tired of looking out at the river and watching the comings and goings of baboons, goats and cows on the far bank and the birds swooping over the water.

At night we ate our meals on the deck under the stars and with a bottle of wine it was the perfect way to round off the day. It is amazing how tiring serious relaxing can be!

When we left the lodge we drove on to Ruacana where we refueled and then made our way on through Oshakati and Ondangwa which both seemed very sprawling. It was a reality check; soon we would have to board a plane and get back to the hustle and bustle that seemed a million miles removed up at the Kunene river. After a brief visit to Etosha it was time to head back south to the airport in Windhoek.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb