Monday 15


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi
September 15th 2014
Published: September 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Monday morning
Breakfast at Mabuya is varied and mostly at reasonable prices. At the weekends we pay for our own food. Yesterday I had French toast with syrup, today I'm having eggs and bacon on toast. It's all cokked individually by two jolly cooks.
After breakfast we're walking down to the Landirani office for a meeting with Mphatso the project manager. There is a bit of a problem that Aidcamp hasn't come across before; there is no way that the project will be finished on the 26th which is our last day when there will be a 'handing over 'ceremony of the building to the local communify with dancers, singers, local dignitaries and national politicians. The roof struts should be on, the thatching will have started, the inside plastering may be finished. Decorating may well be a distant hope. This morning's meeting should give us an update on where we are, and then we're off back to the project to try and do as much ad possible. The problem is that we're unskilled, and we can't work inside while the roofing is being done for health and safety.
We've just come back from the meeting. Bill the coordinator met with a few Landirani offivisls in the back office, while the rest of us met with Ida, the country manager, and Clive, husband of Heather, the CEO. It was good to have all our questions answered about how the future of Sam's Village is envisaged. The reasons that Landirani seems to work so well are twofold. One they work very closely with the local communities asking them what is required. Two, each centre or area has a local volunteer committee that runs it by meeting each week, checking how things are working and reporting back. This means the local communities work with Landirani, and Landirani know exactly what the local needs are. Must stop now, we're going back to the project site.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.424s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb