Building - Malawi Stylee


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Northern » Nkhata Bay
September 1st 2006
Published: September 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

What No Roof, Walls. . .What No Roof, Walls. . .What No Roof, Walls. . .

This is the "completed" Kaliya Vocational Training Centre - note the missing floors, walls, doors, windows and roof !
I arrived in Nkhata Bay late last night after an introduction to African logistics - all part of the valuable learning experience if we (SolarAid) intend to do more projects of this type. Having a volunteer who lived in Malawi for many years really has its advantages - putting things into perspective for me (an African volunteer virgin) for one, and making sure that the right people are being contacted to get things moving along.

Found the bulk - all 192kg - of the solar equipment not in Nkhata Bay but on a pallet in the corner of the Lilongwe Airport Air Cargo warehouse waiting to be cleared and collected. I looked outside to the small saloon car soon to be full of me, Gilbert, the driver, the driver's friends and all of our bags and then back at the 192kg stack of goods sat in front of me - "That ain't gonna to fit in the glove box buddy!" - I love Gilbert's little observations!

So we had to leave the stuff behind and think again about how to get it up North. All the delays at the airport meant that the sun was soon setting and we
Kaliya TrusteesKaliya TrusteesKaliya Trustees

Rev Jonathon K Mwase and Mr Manasseh Chiumia stand looking converned in front of the "completed" Kaliya Vocational Training Centre.
were soon hurtling along the lakeshore, the air full of dust from the unusually strong winds and the road full of wobbling bikes and meandering people on their way back to their villages. Then it got really dark and the drive got really scary - dipped headlights, air still full of dust as thick as fog and the same people and bikes filling the road. And the same hurtling speed - just a bit more horn! I have no idea how we managed to miss everyone, everything and every animal that wandered into our path. I kept focussed on the Kuche Kuche beer waiting at the lodge and tried not to grip the seat too hard.

So good to get to the lodge - especially after our (very tired) driver's comment as we rounded the bends in 5th gear down from the mountains that "it's just like flying!" Arrggghhhh !

Woke up to the sounds of waves on the shore and soon headed up to meet Mr Chiumia - one the two trustees of the Kaliya Youth Group. A fantastic man with tales of travels around the world (retired from working with fisheries) and relatives in far places.
No roof without wallsNo roof without wallsNo roof without walls

The south wall still under construction - without it, the roof timbers and roof can't go up.
Emmanuel, one of the six people trained initially by John Keane came with us up to Bwelero Village. He explained that "Kaliya" was actually a fusion of KA, LI and YA - each one the first 2 letters of 3 of the 9 local chiefs KAtema, LIomba and YAdinga.

The Kaliya group has about 400 young members from an area covering 9 "chiefdoms" - perhaps the name will change in the future but, as Mr Chiumia explained as we climbed an impossibly steep path (Good training for Mount Kenya next year), with an impossbibly wonderful view of the lake behind us, the 6 people chosen for the DIY Solar project come from a complete cross section of the 9 communities.

"Are we nearly there yet ?!" I joked as we paused under a large tree near a large half finished building with no roof. As Mr Chiumia turned his head towards the building site and started to raise his arm, I felt my pulse start to race. Surely not ! Yep - we HAD arrived and the shell in front of me was what I have come to fit a solar electric system to. Somewhat hopefully, and with a big smile on my face, I asked Mr Chiumia if the floor, walls, plastering, roof and electrics would be finished by Monday ! He grinned back in that "welcome to Malawi" kind of way !

So this evening I have meetings with electricians and carpenters while the builders go off to Chikale Beach to get more sand for the mortar to finish the walls.

Changing times of flights from Malawi to Senegal - $25
Cost of sending 2 lorries and four men for more sand - 6,000 Kwacha
The view from the lodge keeping me sane - Priceless !

Advertisement



3rd September 2006

Scary or what!
Phew!! Sounds manic but fun. Glad that you eventually arrived at your destination without any mishaps on the way. Not easy by the sounds of it! Hope the building work gets finished so that you can start your part in the project - patience is certainly going to be a virtue!! Is the beer up to scratch? Watch out if your going for a swim - don't want any more nasty bugs to bite! Have fun Andrew and be in touch again soon. Love Dad xx
4th September 2006

No roof?
What are you going to do if they delay finishing the building by weeks or even months? I hope you took a few books with you.
4th September 2006

Go on Bod!
Hiya Mr Bod! I like being able to get an idea of what you're up to on this blog thingy :-) Tasha and Caitlin send their love (Caitlin wants to know what wildlife you've encountered so far) and I'm terribly impressed that the project, although slightly misspelt, is named in my honour 'Calia' - nice :-) Write more when the roof is on! G x

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 84; dbt: 0.1055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb