Intro to Malawian Culture


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Central » Dzaleka
September 13th 2015
Published: September 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Shortly after our arrival in Lilongwe, we had dinner with our team. We are both a diverse and surprisingly similar group. We are 9 women and 6 men, ranging in age from mid 20's to mid 70's. Our Habitat connections are varied: Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) staff, affiliate leadership (executive staff and board), affiliate employees and one person new to Habitat. We all share a desire to learn, impact and advocate for housing solutions in Malawi.



Our first day was intended to acclimate to and experience the culture in Malawi. We bused 3 hours to the Kungoni cultural center. There we learned about the anthropology (birth, puberty, marriage and death rituals) of the three main tribes. The Ngoni, Yao, and the Chewa. We enjoyed a buffet of local food in an open air restaurant. So far I've seen lots of roast chicken, rice and Nsima (a Malawian staple made from corn meal. Think bland grits).



Our drive to the cultural center took us along the Malawi-Mozambique border. Since it is an open border, we all trekked across the road, so we could say we were in Mozambique. Several Mozambique children came out to see the Mzunga (white people).



On our trip home we stopped in an African village to greet people and witness some tribal dancing. Not at all what I expected (see the attached video). However, our stop over was cut short when a fight erupted amongst some of the slightly intoxicated crowd over tips being given for the dancing.



Our evening meal was in an Italian restaurant in the expat community. We dined outdoors, and since I did not have my jacket (still no luggage), I was freezing. Temperatures dip into the 50's at night and it has been quite windy on this trip.



Just a few tidbits:

The local currency is the Kwacha. Exchange rates vary between 500/$ and600/$.

The people are friendly and very anxious to great us.

Most children love to have their photos taken. Many adults are shy and prefer not.

English is the official language, but outside the cities, it is only tribal languages. Chichewa is the national language.

Being this is the end of the dry season, it is quite arid and very dusty. Add the brisk wind, and we are all coated in a layer of dirt.



When I share facts, please know they are to the best of my understanding. I can't promise accuracy. I will continue to try and blog daily. However, sometimes schedules, need for sleep and internet connectivity are deterrents.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Creek bedCreek bed
Creek bed

Women and children - washing and bathing
Creek BedCreek Bed
Creek Bed

Now the cows join them.


15th September 2015

Thank you!
Michelle, Thank you for your report! I hope your luggage arrives soon! Take good care, and know that we are thinking of you. We will miss you at the Major Gifts Meeting!

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb