Week 4 - The Fellowship is Broken


Advertisement
Madagascar's flag
Africa » Madagascar
May 30th 2008
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

April 23 - 29

Well, this week would be great and sad all at the same time.

First off, the weather started to go sideways a bit. Strong winds for three consecutive days caused dives to be cancelled, and then whole extra days off because the viz was so poor. Not great - only so many days to pass my fish test, and time was running out.

Also this week there was an exorcism in the village. It seems that a young woman was possessed by an ancestor (she was speaking in tongues, including English, although she didn’t speak English normally) and the vols and staff were invited to participate. It seems participation involved drinking lots, playing the drums and dancing. I’m not sure, but it seemed to be more of a village party than anything else. But it was interesting. It took two days to complete.

Muriel, Deb and I spent a memorable time at the beach epi-bar. There are two epi-bars in the village; the main, large one, and a smaller one on the beach. We sad, had a warm beer and watched the sunset - or, did until the kids came over. We then entertained them with stories and games. I told them “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” of which they understood not a word, but were enthralled anyways (hint: Vezu children find bear growls very funny!).

Sam, our resident 19 year old poet, also had a little adventure. He and Kat ill advisedly went out for a swim to the near by Andava Rock, which is fady (taboo) to point to, walk on, or, as we found out, swim to. Anyways, they left just before the sun went down, and although Kat came back before dark Sam refused to. So, we had to do a quick search and rescue - not that Sam needed rescuing, but it was a pretty stupid thing to do. Luckily, no one got hurt.

We also went out to the cell phone point (there was a place where you could sometimes get cellphone service) to watch the sun go down. I walked, but other took a zebu cart. Never again.

Another notable - I was sick again this week, the worst of the trip. Vomiting for 15 hours (couldn’t keep water down), but eventually felt better. It took about another week before I wanted to eat though. Silly bad water.

And, the sad bit. Muriel and Deb left this week. They were only here for four weeks, but I missed them terribly when they left. Both are fantastic women - for their last party night, they came up with split personality night. Men would pick women’s names, and have to dress up like them and vice versa. I, of course, got Tori, the 19 year old tall, slim model. But I fit into her hot pants! Take the children out of the room before looking at the pictures, and avert your eyes if you are sensitive.

But when Muriel and Deb left on the 4X4 (with Rosemary, one of the Dutch scientists working here), all the fun went out of BV for a bit. The Fellowship of the Red Van was broken. Seems I’m always saying goodbye to people on this trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



31st May 2008

Sounds like a bad treeplanting gig!
Ugh the drinking water situation doesn't sound good! Beaver fever!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb