Marlin and me hah


Advertisement
Liberia's flag
Africa » Liberia » Monrovia
November 22nd 2015
Published: November 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The following morning 20/11/15 we arrive at the Liberian border and take 2 hours waiting to cross. Meaning the Ivorian embassy in Monrovia is an unlikely ambition in Friday pm traffic, we divert to Robertsport, a fairly deprived yet picturesque beach district to wait until Monday for Monrovia. We spend that evening searching out food supplies and set up camp on a beach with basic facilities. The second evening myself and 6 others from the group take up the invite from a local South African guy called Jo who has more or less emigrated to Liberia with his unclear yet obviously profitable real estate empire. A lot of drinking ensued, all on the house along with food and Loud Africans party music. Jo has 20 boats aimed at sports fishing across the region, that Sunday he was competing in two different completions in these waters. unclear who else was competing but large bets were in play. Myself and John jumped at the chance to join his personal crew on the boat deep sea fishing from 8am. After seeing the serious kit being rolled out we were in no doubt we were in the market for big fish,Around 12 miles out and less than an hour after kick off. A magic moment, a Marlin bites. We then see the beast jumping up around 500 meters out. After 40 mins team work from the guys and girls she was tired enough to be lifted aboard, est 120kg . A big fish. The rest of the day saw 3 dorados, myself only rolled in a decent sized wahoo,others included fairly small Tuna and another smaller fish. Probably the highlight was after Sam, the local expert and employed buy joe spotted a net encasing two very large turtles. Luckily both still alive, both were carefully cut free and the drifting net came aboard. Myself and John joined back with the group that evening and the following morning headed to Monrovia for the Cote d'voir visas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb