Maasai Village


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
June 28th 2008
Published: June 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On the way from Mombasa to Nairobi, we stopped by a Maasai Village for a brief visit. They are traditionally a nomadic tribe, but as their land has been progressively gazetted by colonialists, their traditional way of life is becoming harder to support themselves with. Tourism now provides them with a bit of income as many foreigners are curious about the "tribal culture" of Kenya. I think we all had mixed feelings about visiting the Maasai: while they openly invite tourists to see their villages and welcome the income they bring, we weren't sure if we were exploiting them a bit. We didn't want to treat the Maasai as merely a tourist attraction. They deserve much more respect than that. Anyhow, they encouraged us to take pictures and I'll share a few with you here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Maasai Mud HutsMaasai Mud Huts
Maasai Mud Huts

These huts are made with mud and dried cow dung. They take about one month to build and are surprisingly cool inside.
Woman making a bead ankletWoman making a bead anklet
Woman making a bead anklet

Their jewelry is quite elaborate and very beautiful.
More kids goofingMore kids goofing
More kids goofing

They just love the camera.
Lydia making fireLydia making fire
Lydia making fire

The Maasai taught us how to make fire with 2 pieces of wood and some wood scrapings. It actually doesn't take that long!
Traditional danceTraditional dance
Traditional dance

The man chant and dance and the woman chant and sing on the side. Jayani and Lydia were pulled in reluctantly!
Jump!Jump!
Jump!

Part of the dance includes the men jumping great heights.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb