More photos and stories


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
June 28th 2008
Published: June 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

There isn't an overlying theme to these photos. Plus I would like to share the following incident with you that has no corresponding photo: Mzito, Jayani and I were walking to dinner one evening when something flew into Jayani's eye. She gave a small yelp and stopped, and Mzito and I went to see what it was. In less than 10 seconds, out of seemingly nowhere, a crowd of people had surrounded us, someone was shining a flashlight into her eye so we could see better and someone else brought a tissue to clean her eye with. We quickly removed the offending object (a bug), everyone cheered, then went on their way. I've never seen such goodwill and a sense of community anywhere else. Now that is civilization.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Jayani eating MotumboJayani eating Motumbo
Jayani eating Motumbo

Mmmm... cow intestines.... They actually aren't so bad. I think they're tastier than the dim sum variety.
Sherri-Anne and LydiaSherri-Anne and Lydia
Sherri-Anne and Lydia

Taking a break while exploring Nairobi.
Hotel room in WoteHotel room in Wote
Hotel room in Wote

At the Belgian Guest House.
Bus Bus
Bus

This was the bus we took to clinic every morning in Wote. I loved it. Joyous music would be blasting from the loudspeakers as we drove through the countryside.
Steve's JeepSteve's Jeep
Steve's Jeep

This jeep was fabulous. Cracks in the windshield, doors that barely close, non-existent shock absorption. The steering wheel was on the wrong side. Steering itself was dubious. It gets stuck at the bottom of hills. We were just waiting for the thing to fall apart. We named it "Umechoka" which is Kiswahili for "Are you tired?"
Jayani and Me on a DhowJayani and Me on a Dhow
Jayani and Me on a Dhow

Jayani and I decided to take an evening cruise and seafood dinner while in Mombasa. I'm posting this photo because it was one of the only times we had brushed our hair and cleaned the dust off our bodies!
Relucant DancerRelucant Dancer
Relucant Dancer

As part of the cruise entertainment, Jayani was volunteered to act as a model for all the different ways 2 pieces of cloth can be worn
Outside Fort JesusOutside Fort Jesus
Outside Fort Jesus

Fort Jesus is an old Portuguese fort that was built in the 1600s.
Rays of SunlightRays of Sunlight
Rays of Sunlight

Lake Nakuru National Park


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb