Day 5: A Busy and Varied day


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province » Butere
August 21st 2009
Published: August 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Quite a lengthy one today but before we get to the update we would all like to let you know that your comments and messages are a great help to us out here in Kenya. It might only be for 2 weeks and we are of course having some amazing experiences but we never forget about those of you we have left at home and on many occasions wish you were here to experience them with us (The good ones of course!) so please keep the encouraging messages coming to help keep the homesickness at bay.


Today started out on a low note. Nobody’s phone seemed to work (something to do with last night’s thunderstorm) and a number of the team was feeling unwell. This was a lot to do with us not getting proper sleep and trying to do too much in one day. There is a reason the pace of life is much slower here after all, the unrelenting sun beating down for 12 hours a day!
Nevertheless we soldiered on having our usual morning meeting, looking at Nehemiah chapter 3 which talks about Jews from all walks of life working together to rebuild Jerusalem. Whilst we aren’t rebuilding Jerusalem here in Kenya we are working together building things to help out our brothers and sisters in Christ so it provided some encouragement and inspiration for us. We then prayed and had another look at our book too which asks some quite challenging questions about how we as Christians behave and asks us to examine ourselves and see if we are we like the Pharisees.

You know when you go to the shops and you forget something. Back in the UK that just a bit of an inconvenience. Here in Kenya it involves a 7 hour chunk of the day! Although we had got many of the supplies we needed on our first shopping trip we needed more electrical stuff for the school, more wood to finish off the benches, glass for the windows in the computer room (silly to have a room full of laptops with open windows), and Paul needed more electrical supplies for the guest house so we could put lighting in all the new rooms we were building. Having spoken to the Principal of the school yesterday about the internet we also needed to pick up a Broadband Router. Since I had done the research on Broadband and Ian knew where the shops were that we needed to visit we were obvious choices for this shopping trip. Nick hadn’t had chance to get out and about yet either and so he accompanied us too. Elias and Anthony of course drove us down there.

It takes ‘about an hour’ to drive to Kisumu from Butere, about a quarter of the way along a road that is still under construction. This makes for quite a bumpy ride with some precarious sections through unfinished bridges and over large mounds of earth. Thankfully this was a lot less scary then during the night since we could see what was coming up and brace ourselves etc. There is still one section that never fails to unnerve us weak westerners where the bus leans over as it goes over a steep berm and I am sure is very close to tipping over!

One of the most significant points along the trip is we pass over the equator. It’s marked by a large statue marker and as soon as anything stops there a bunch of children comes bursting out of some bushes to say hello in the hope of getting some sweets!

As you approach Kisumu you can see Lake Victoria covering most of the horizon and you get to appreciate how massive it really is.

Once we arrived in town Elias took us to the Hardware are where Ian had visited before and we ordered the wood, glass, and other building stuff we needed. The owner of the shop, Ely, told us it was going to take some time to get all the stuff together so we headed off to another shop for the electrical bits we needed. This shop was run by a chap who lived in Canada for a long time so he had a rather strange accent. His shop had almost anything electrical you can think of so we would have no trouble getting the parts we needed. Whilst we were waiting for Ian to go through the list of stuff we needed me and Nick had a good look at all the techie stuff, such fun. Once we had our order we paid up, loaded the stuff onto the bus, and then headed off to a place to get some dinner.

It turns out there was a large
Martin paintingMartin paintingMartin painting

I though the Adam Ant look was soo 80's
department store nearby that Doug and Ann had already recommend and Elias knew exactly where it was. Once we got there we went inside to pick up some sundries for a few of the guys back at the guest house. We were expecting the usual slightly higgledy piggledy Kenyan style shop, but not so! This place was just like a department store back home selling everything from TV’s to Razor blades.

Next to the department store was a great place to eat selling western style food so I had Fish and Chips, no mushy peas though but when your 4500 miles from home you can’t have everything!

After lunch we went in search of a broadband router. We got directions to the biggest Safaricom store in Kisumu but things didn’t look hopeful as we approached since the building looked like a large flea market from the front. We were pleasantly surprised though as we found a nice courtyard inside surrounded by shops. The Safaricom shop had air conditioning comfy seats and all the things you’d expect to find in an O2 or Orange shop back in the UK. We got our broadband router along with loads of scratch
CookCookCook

This is the cook preparing out food in the outdoor open fire kitchen
cards for the guys back in the Guest House to top up their mobiles and headed back to the electrical shop to get some stuff Danny had phoned through to us whilst we were eating dinner. By the time we got back to the hardware store Ely had thought we had forgotten about picking up our stuff. His guys helped load up the Bus and we set off home. As we headed back to the guest house all along the road hundred of school kids in their bright school uniforms were heading home. I am still astounded by the commitment to education here in Kenya, it’s a contrast to the UK where kids can’t wait for the schools holidays to have time off to play.

Back at the guest house work carried on painting the corridors and kitchen areas, there’s a lot to paint though so it will be a few more days before all the painting is finished. The great brick migration and the bricklaying is continuing at a steady pace too. All the team who are concentrating on this are doing an amazing job since it is by far the most physical bit of the work we
The Power supplier to the guest houseThe Power supplier to the guest houseThe Power supplier to the guest house

Paul explained that none of the fuses were actualy fuses and they all had some 1.5mm cable instead !
are doing here.

Over at Shiatsala School Jerry and Stewart made a start varnishing the masses of woodwork that will make up the benches. During a break he decided to take a walk in the maize field at the back of the school. This turned out to be a bad idea as he inadvertently stood in an ants nest. They were not too happy about this interloper in their territory and so they attacked by swarming up his legs and biting him. He wasn’t too badly bitten though although it took a while to remove them all from his pants which he did by taking them off and putting them on inside out!

Joyce (a teacher at Shiatsala School) took Jerry, Matt, Phil, Jeremy, Stewart, and Tim around the market in Shiatsala. Most of their food is grown on their own land and any surplus is taken down to the local market to trade or sell so they can get the other things that they cant or don’t grow, tools, clothes, and very occasionally the odd luxury item. The most popular ‘luxury’ by far is a mobile phone; they are almost considered a necessity here. Most families seem to own one and they are almost exclusively pay as you go phones which you top up by purchasing a scratch card of credit and entering the number into your phone. The most common top up amount is 50 Kenyan Shillings which is about 40p.

At 5 o’clock Tim had arranged a football match with Butere boys school just around the corner. It was starting to look like the Butere boys team were going to thrash us until a few of their guys joined our team to even things up. In the end it was a 4 -3 to away side. A rematch has been arranged for Monday so watch this space.

After the football Doug and Ann joined us for dinner. Once that was out of the way then Charles and Matt were both up for their Question time treating us to some insights into their lives and how they came to become Christians. The Matt, Stewart, Dave H, Julyan went off with torches to hunt for Toads. Whilst they were looking they were question by a local policeman doing his rounds. I am pretty sure it was the first time ever he had stopped a bunch of men prowling around the bushes after dark to be told they were ‘Looking for frogs and toads’. Thankfully he believed them and sauntered off no doubt thinking how strange white people are!

Once the Toad hunters had returned we had a competition to see which table could come up with the best Joke. Simon seemed to be the clear winner with his Mr. Whippy Joke (you will have to ask in person if you want to hear it since there is a visual element that just won’t translate well in words). It was then getting late so it was time for bed.

Tomorrow is Saturday so we get a day of to go to Kakamega rain forest!







Advertisement



22nd August 2009

Lovin it :)
Love reading the updates Andy, sounds like great fun, love the bit about Julyan and co toad hunting...lol Thinking of you all. Love Joxxxxxxxxx ( Andys sister )
22nd August 2009

1 WEEK DOWN, 1 TO GO !
Thank you for the interesting, detailed blog this has helped keep us going at home and feel we have shared a small part of your experience. It was a relief to find out that the thunderstorm was the reason for not hearing from my husband I was beginning to think he had forgotten us! Well 1 week down 1 to go, we will continue to pray for you all this coming week. Lots of love Jerry x x x
23rd August 2009

Blog.
Hi all, what a fantasic bunch you all are. Just been given the blog address to day by Paul Bosman so will follow your adventures. Look after yourselves be aware of ants frogs and toads! God Bless you all. Sarah and Roland (Christ Church)
23rd August 2009

blog entries
hi all, well i must say the blog entries are fab, what a wonderful way to show us what your up to. although i personally dont like frogs a few piccies would be nice of frog hunting lol. and possibly a piccie or two of some of the other guys over there that are involved in this amazing awe inspiring work that you do. cant wait for the next entry keep up the good work and we want lots of piccies from your day off too. god continue to bless you all xxxx
23rd August 2009

better late than neva
hi babe(dave h)hope ur ok,we are all missing u loads n loads.love u lots,cnt w8 to c u.praying 4 u all.mum said tel dad she misses him.xxx
23rd August 2009

to dad(hanson) sorry i didn't speak to you yesterday dad i was helping aunty lisa out at the arcades. WE have just been to this place called castle acre its like a ruined castle and you can walk there. we are now relaxing b4 we start to pack up. speak later. love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
23rd August 2009

Hi all. Hope you are having a restful Sunday and that you had a good service at church this morning. Have snook away from Jill and Philip's guests (laptop hidden secretly under arm) in order to check blog.....addictive stuff this is!!! Looking forward to seeing more pics and hearing about the bat caves and rainforest. Love and prayers-Angelaxx
23rd August 2009

This is great stuff Andrew (or should I say Blogmaster!!). It's really good to keep in touch this way on a daily basis. Hi to everyone there, hope you are all getting some sleep between listening to the animal noises at night. Its all changing here too, Robin giving short sermons, Dave J speeding up the end of choruses and Cafe India now called Chilli Spice! Wonder what will happen this week? Hope you enjoyed the safari Dave. Looking forward to some more pics. soon.
23rd August 2009

Janet: A comment! (at last!)
Hi guys, thought it was time I joined in the comments. Andy, thanks for your work on this blog. It's great and really makes us feel more involved and able to pray specifically. Glad to see the photos added to Day 5 and extras in Day 4 (check these out folks if u've not seen them) though I'm not so sure about the bare chests and beards!! Hope Danny doesn't get any ideas about a beard! We're all dying to see the 'Day Off' blog! Hope it'll be there when I get back from church! Love to you all. Miss u Danny! Janet xx
23rd August 2009

Peace and quiet!
Church was empty today without a few familiar faces!!!!!! ...... we prayed for you all so much though and will continue to do so until you return home safely. God bless Emma
23rd August 2009

terveisiä Suomesta
Hello Matt! It sounds really interesting job you all are doing there!May God bless your stay and work in Kenya! Hannu ,Marianne, Joel and Janmikael from Finland
23rd August 2009

Ashes
I had the privilege of going to church at both Wharton and Hartford today (as well as Moulton...) and it was great to see lots of pictures of you guys on the big screen at both. Both churches praying and sending lots of love. In other news, trust you are making the most of having a captive aussie amongst you in these joyous times.
23rd August 2009

Well done!!
Tell Tim we had a call from Betty Spencer offering her husband Frank's help if needed! On a more serious note, we are really enjoying reading the blog every day. It enables informed prayer and is fascinating.What an experience!! We really admire you for giving your time and expertise in practical Christain service. Good for you!! On top of that England have won the Ashes!
23rd August 2009

blog
Hi all fantistic blob oh I mean blog not very good on comuter,I mean computer, hope your all ko err ok, (see what I mean) you jammie lot realy wish we were there with you in a more supervisory capacity eg sunbathing while drinking pina calarders ( oh I wish I could spell). Any-who love to you all and acuma matta! Or something like that. see ya soon Lol Alex and Dave. P s PRAYING FOR YOU ALL ESPECIALLY JERRY WITH THE ANTS.
23rd August 2009

''pooh!''
Hi all,praying for you all as you start work again tomorrow and that all poorly people are feeling better, hope you have running water back soon or I pity the poor people that will be sharing the plane with you lot! Counting down the days now Jerry, love you always x
24th August 2009

laying electrical cable for the Lord!
A big 'hi!' to you all but especially Dad! (Danny) It's brilliant to read the blog. We almost feel like we're right there with you there is so much detail. Thanks for putting the effort into writing, it helps us to pray better too. Dad, I can see you right now, who wants to be going shopping and building walls when you can be laying electrical cable!! Keep up the good work all of you. "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men...It is the Lord Christ you are serving." (Col3:23-24) With love, Helen (+Paul) xx
24th August 2009

Hi
Hi Jerry, Really enjoying the blogs and whats going on. Hope you had a good day off and can't wait to see all the photos. Stay safe Julia and Andy xxx
24th August 2009

So proud of all you guys, you are doing a fantastic job! What a great witness to give up your time like this. Hope you are all really enjoying the experience. Praying for you all this week, hope there are not too many more illnesses. Work hard, see you soon. Lots of love xxx
24th August 2009

' amazin '
Love reading the blogg! You are all working so hard.......Alistair making holes in walls, Martin painting and Tim playing football!!! Only kidding, we think you are all doing an amazin job. God bless Maxine and Chris
24th August 2009

The stories and piccies are fantastic, they really make us readers feel like we're there in the midst of it all (from the comfort of our sofas of course!). Really sorry to hear some of you haven't been well, only know too well what that's like!! May God keep you all safe and restore you to full health. Great work being done there, not just structurally. Shame about the cricket eh Mike?! Am sure that nice green and yellow T-shirt is back in the suitcase now!
24th August 2009

The blog makes for interesting reading. hope all continues to go well, though the "fuses" are iffy by any standards. All the football fans will be pleased to know that Manchester City are still undefeated (City 1-0 Wolves). The same cannot be said for the other club! Best wishes to all. Elwyn Jones
24th August 2009

Just Nick's Mum
I am really enjoying the blog, you must be a reporter in real life Andy! Keep up the good work everyone and I hope those who were feeling unwell are in tip top form now. I had a smashing time staying with Fiona and the boys Nick, thinking of you. Love Mumx
24th August 2009

'at last I've cracked it'
sending you a comment I mean. I've been trying all week. I'm typing this with a poorly finger. It's so lovely to be able to hear what you are doing and to read all the comments from your loved ones. It makes us feel a part of the work. We pray for you every morning and God is definately answering our prayers. Looking forward to seeing you all at the weekend. Church was awfully quiet without you all. More pics of Jerry please!!
24th August 2009

Hartford Hyenas
Pics of 'Hartford Hyenas' football team soo encouraging for England, first the Ashes could we now dream of the World Cup too?!! Alistair I take it you were Chief cheer-leader!! You are all fabulous and an inspiration. Looking forward to seeing you all. Kids and I missing u Ali.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb