Day 4: The work goes on.


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province » Butere
August 20th 2009
Published: August 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

On the way to the SchoolOn the way to the SchoolOn the way to the School

Lots of Kids come rushing up to the road to wave at us every day!
Today was business as usual breakfast, bible study, prayer and discussion. Then work began in earnest. Over at the school we started by speaking to the Principal about Internet access. He was incredibly keen and had already given it great thought. He had already planned how they will use it as a resource for not only the current pupils but also to run computer courses for people in the local area as well for a small fee. That would enable them to continue to finance the continuing costs of the Internet connection when our initial donation run out.

Jerry and I then continued to work on the preparation for the construction of the computer room benches. First off was planed the edges of the worktops since some of them were rather wonky, then we worked at preparing all the framework to support the benches. I managed to do some joinery without messing it up. Whilst we worked we had a little visitor. He was a small lizard, quick as lightning but after running about for a while he just stopped stock still as if to pose for a photo!

Mike, Ian, Danny, Jeremy, and Alex continued with the electrical
Our little visitorOur little visitorOur little visitor

Hmm who could that be in the background.
wiring. This time we had brought a hammer and chisel along and Elias (our driver) chased out the channels we needed between some sockets to connect them all up. In fact he was working so hard the he managed to split the hammer head!

Just before noon Joyce, one of the teachers at the school, kindly went out and bought all of us Cokes which though warm seemed like luxury in the sweltering heat.

Lunchtime came and we had Chapatti like flat bread, with some kind of lentil and bean dish that was really tasty and some fruit and ice cream for afters!

Back at the guest house the demolition and building continued. It surprising how quickly people are taking to doing jobs so far removed from their usual ones. Nick for instance with his slight frame wouldn’t strike you as suited for building work. But when you’ve seen him tear through a brick wall to create a new doorway you soon loose any preconceptions. Dave Burton too has gone from building things in virtual worlds for computer games to building real walls! We have not taken this idea too far though, letting Stewart loose on the
Tim PaintingTim PaintingTim Painting

Just some evidence that he is doing something!
computers for instance would be asking for trouble!

Paul moved that troublesome fuse box with surprising ease although rewiring some of it later in the day though led to him getting a couple of nasty shocks. Don’t worry though he is still with us!

One of the peculiar things about being close to the equator is the regularity of the days. Sunrise is around 6:30am and sunset around 6:30pm every day. As the sun starts to set the light takes on a peculiar quality where almost everything seems to have an orange glow. It doesn’t last long though, by 7pm its pitch dark. For dinner tonight we had Lamb (we suspect its really goat), Liver and green pepper, fried sliced potato with onions, and pancakes and custard for desert! We all thought we wouldn’t be getting much to eat but so far the food has been way beyond our expectations.

After dinner it was Julyan and Marks turn for Question time then most of us headed up to bed since it had been a long day. Unfortunately our dreams were rudely interrupted by a massive thunderstorm. I leapt out of bed to unplug my phone charger as
CarpentryCarpentryCarpentry

I can see why Jerry likes Carpentry is quite fun!
a couple of days earlier Doug had told us a story that one night the guest house had got hit by lightning and Tim Wanbunya’s phone charger set the curtains on fire. Thankfully we had no unfortunate incidents though.

Andrew Wood


Advertisement



21st August 2009

"LIVE PANCAKES"
Hi thank you for your discriptions of what you had for dinner that makes sense now, Jerry you're rubbish at texting you texted me that you had live pancakes and custard, no wonder you were poorly today! Hope you are feeling better tom lots of love x x x
22nd August 2009

Hi all, great to hear more of your news! I hope Matt's been eating all of his goat...I mean lamb! Have a fantastic time on safari. Much love-Angelaxx
22nd August 2009

Hi Daddy!
Hello Daddy, I'm missing you. Hope you don't get poorly! Hope you get to see some good animals in the rain forest, but don't get eaten by any! Love Zena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ps. Mummy says hope the others are getting better now.
22nd August 2009

p.s. Can't wait for Dave to do an extension on the house now he can build walls!!! xx
22nd August 2009

Thoughts from abroad...
I think over an above all the other skills you seem to be aquiring on your trip, your ability to engage those of us who wait at home through your wonderfully told blogs needs a mention. You are allowing us all to share your experiences and you all don't feel so far away now. Bill Bryson move over, Andy is at your heels! Love from Mum David and all your siblings xxxxx
22nd August 2009

Looks like fun!!!
Hi to all - I've enjoyed following your progress so far. It's great to be a part of what you're doing, and I don't even have to get my hands dirty!! Hope you enjoy your well earned day off. Thoughts and prayers with you all. Love Pam (Swift)
22nd August 2009

Half Way
Well dine guys, 1 week down and sounds like you've done loads. Now your half way through how about a group photo on the blog? Just to let you know I've been to Chester zoo hanging out with the wildlife and I even got a photo of me and Jacob with some Zulu dancers, it's the closest I could get to being there with you guys!!! God bless, love and prayers from the Cheswicks.

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0902s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb