malaria...cool.


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province » Bungoma
November 24th 2009
Published: November 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

thank you so much to everyone for all of your thoughts and prayers. this last week has be crazy, scary. but most importantly, i am out of the hospital and getting better.

it's so hard to know where to begin. it's such a long story and so much emotion goes along with it that it's kind of hard to collect all my thoughts right now. so i will give you the shortened version, leaving out the gory details. this is a conversation i think i should wait to have until i return home. =)

lets see...last wednesday night/thurs morn i woke up around 3 am with horrible stomach problems. from then until thursday night i did not get any better. i was finally convinced to be taken to the hospital, which i thought would be a quick trip to just get some medicine. as soon as i get there, though, everything just gets much worse and i develop worse symptoms. (so i definitely went at the perfect time) i'm, of course, just so scared, getting hooked up to an IV (which i've never had before), in a hospital, in the middle of AFRICA. i've never even been admitted to a hospital at home. i hardly ever even get the common cold. thank God, Sidney, one of the other IU students came with me. she was with me the whole time. i owe her a lot. nate just happened to call as soon as i got there. after several times of ignoring, i finally tell sid to answer and give him a vague description of what is going on. =) sorry babe.

finally, in the middle of the night thursday, i wake up and am feeling much better, as i am half-way through my first malaria iv treatment. i can finally call nate and my parents back to let them know what is going on and that i'm okay.

thursday and friday consist of going back and forth between malaria treatments and just a glucose iv. whenever i was on the malaria iv's, i felt pretty good and could actually stand on my own. but when i wasn't it was a different story. saturday morning, i had finished all of the malaria iv's and was on to the oral medication. i noticed when i woke up that my body was better, but still very weak and a little nauseous. slowly but surely, though, i was getting better. sunday, i felt like a new person and the only problem was weakness. yesterday, the doctor visited me one last time and said i was good to go. =)

the hospital was actually quite nice. it was one story buildings, with what i would describe as lots of courtyards. most of the patients were in wards where there were just tons of cots lined up. i was in a private wing, where people actually got there own nice room. it was hard not to feel guilty. tons of people who were much more sick than i was, and there i was in my own room, in a comfortable bed, with my own nurse and cook. i guess this wing is only 1 year old and the nurses told me there are 15 rooms. however, the most they have ever filled is 7 because it is just too expensive for people to afford.

my nurses and doctor were just wonderful. Sid and i got to know them quite well. i will never forget them. sidney actually ended up getting sick while we were there, too, due to her allergies. luckily we were in a hospital and they were able to give her lots of medicine. hehe...

oh yeah...there was this baby girl that was 5 months old, whose mother left her there when she was born. the hospital has taken her in for now and all the nurses are like her mother. =) saturday, one of the nurses just brought her into our room, set her on my bed, and then left. i was like, huh? at first she was a little scared (as are all babies here of us) but she eventually warmed up and was so much fun. she was crawling all over me, kept trying to take my glasses off, and rip the pages out of my book. she was definitely a fun distraction to pass the time.


today, i went back to the school for a couple hours this morning. for some reason, grades 1 and 2 were together in the same room. all the teachers were having some sort of meeting, so all of the kids were on their own in the rooms (which is not unusual at all... sometimes students are left in their rooms for hours at a time, with no supervision, and it's like no bid deal. crazy.) anyway, i decided to take advantage and play bingo with the kids, which i brought with me from home. i divided up everyone in partners or groups of 3, as i only had 35 bingo cards, and there were like 80 kids in the room. chaos? yes. i finally was able to explain the rules and most of them understood the gist of the game. it actually ended up going really well and the kids loved it. i gave dumdum suckers to the winners. (thanks mom) =) after that, i went behind the school and all of the kids were practicing their songs and dances for graduation tomorrow. i can't believe tomorrow is my last day there! but i am really excited to watch the graduation. i guess it's like a really big deal and they perform tons of songs and dances. =) after just a couple hours at the school this morning though, my body reminded me that i had just been in the hospital for 4 days and i had to go back to my hut and lay down for a while. after going back to the farm from town, i totally plan on taking another nap as well. =)

again, i feel very blessed for everyone's thoughts and prayers over the last several days. although i felt very alone, i also could feel the support from family and friends described to me by nate, mom and dad. i love you all so much and i hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! EAT SOME YUMMY FOOD FOR ME!!

Advertisement



24th November 2009

ya, real cool
So let's not do that again. I am glad you are feeling better and hope you enjoy the rest of your stay, although I'll be worrying twice as much from here on out. Love ya.
24th November 2009

We were definitely all thinking about you this weekend! I'm glad to hear you are feeling lots better...I was worried!! We still miss you tons over here in Indiana...can't wait to see you over Christmas Break!!! Love you and please don't get sick again. haha --Rach
24th November 2009

it is soooo good to hear you are feeling better! i hated knowing that you were so sick :(( this blog post made me feel much better about you staying in africa! take it easy over there and be careful! i don't wanna hear anymore bad news missy! i love you and i'm sad i won't get to see you over thanksgiving!! :(
24th November 2009

Blessings
Jen, Words can't begin to express the relief and thanks to God I have right now. Thanksgiving has taken on a whole new meaning. Tomorrow when we are all gathered around the Thanksgiving table, there will be a place set just for you... Be safe and remember to take one day at a time. Hugs and kisses, Mom
25th November 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!!
So glad to hear that you are doing well. Malaria sounds so scary to me. Thanks for keeping us all updated on your fabulous trip. We are all so proud of you. Have a safe and happy thanksgiving. love ya. Veronica
25th November 2009

Jenny I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better. i was so worried about you and couldnt stop thinking about you the whole time. but dont you worry nate kept us updated throughout the whole thing! who would have imagined that you would pick up malaria? you never get sick!!! so crazy girl but so glad you are feeling better and are cured :) i love you so much and cannot wait for you to get home! only a few more weeks so live it up to its fullest and we will all be waiting for you when you get home. have an amazing time and stay healthy. love and miss you!!
28th November 2009

Wonderful
Jenny, your post brings tears to my eyes--not only are we all grateful that you're feeling better and have made it through, but your post is so full of love and gratitude despite the challenge that you were going through. Thank you for showing us all how important love is and sharing all the parts of your experience, even the not so pleasant ones. You're an inspirational woman full of strength and love. Enjoy the rest of your time!
30th November 2009

Malaria and playing hard!
Wow Jenny! I can't belive that you have been through so much in such a short time! I'm so glad that you are feeling better again, and ready to finish the journey that you began. I know that everyone here will be glad to have you back, but you are getting an experience of a lifetime! We are keeping Nate busy with Colts football on Sundays. Take care and we'll see you soon!

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb