It's like 60 minute make-over in Kenyan time


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Nakuru
March 25th 2011
Published: March 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So the lovely Debs and Garry have been here for the last 2 weeks, Deborah has been here before, she then went home raised money and returned to build the boys a library...

So 2 days ago we were at the lets decorate stage... YAY Chai (tea) on tap, paint brushes in hand we gleefully set about decorating as if it were a leisurely Sunday afternoon. I say we... Debs, Garry, Jamie and Grace had all started a day before however I was some what busy so unable to help. So I swanned up on Wednesday morning to paint the rays off the sunshine 😊

Such an amazing day and we got a lot done, 2nd coats needed but on with the floor paint 😊 12 hours to dry painting at 6pm no problem... except the floor is anything but level and even with no rain/ Kenyan sun still wasn't dry 16 hours later.

In the end a game of graceful leaping at using the big toe hot water test method to detect sticky paint was used to find dry spots. Deborah and I had to part take in some Twister-esque decorating positions one leg, one hand, balance, lean and grass green done! I then moved on to hurriedly adding more flowers and small insects to my collection of art, much to the awkwardness of being looked upon by the local artist, January, who is UBER talented!

Throw in the desks we cleaned off and salvaged from the Chicken Coop... its Kenya, roll with it. The huge bookshelves carefully constructed by the talented people at Sure 24, add some balloons and 1 library (minus windows)

The boys loved it, they have the books they need for homework, genuinely an amazing few days with some fab people to make something to help the most deserving boys I know.

Whenever the Kenyan-ness and politics and whatever else gets me down those boys without fail make it all worth while!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb