Day 3 (P.M.) Masai Mara-Mara Serena Lodge-Three Days In Heaven


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Masai Mara NP
June 20th 2006
Published: October 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nairobi-Lake Nakuru-Masai Mara


 x Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara x Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara x Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara

Miles and miles of grassland dotted with trees that reminded me of a futuristic land.

"Calm my restless heart. Awaken my soul. Fill every molecule of my body with gratitude. Sit quietly and try not to forget to breath as we are here; Kenya's Masai Mara, and it is not a dream"





We had been driving about 5 to 6 hours and my back was smarting, my bottom numb and I was way beyond needing to utilize the restroom... but somehow as Peter said, "Yes this is the Masai Mara" all that just went away. The strange thing is I never really thought that going to Africa would touch me in the way that it did. After all it was Pat's trip of a lifetime. But it was one of those extraordinary moments when I was absolutely sure that I would never forget, in memory or heart, this land. I can describe it much like when you first fall in love. All of your senses are heightened and even the awful stuff is suddenly perfect. Well that's how I felt. I don't know how a bumpy dirt road could suddenly be so beautiful, but it was. The six of us managed to be silent as the jeep worked it's way onward, darting around
Mara Serena Lodge -Masai MaraMara Serena Lodge -Masai MaraMara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara

Views of the back of our lodge from the trails.
potholes and droning to a rhythmical vibration of rubber on earth. The grasslands became more and more gorgeous, the skies bluer and the animal herds appearing around each bend of the road grew larger and more frequent. Another 45 minutes or so and a small hill with a level top appeared to our right side. Looking beyond the hill, many miles away you could make out what appeared to be cliffs. Now you felt like you were actually in a very large flat valley. It felt comforting and protective. Peter advised that our hotel was atop the hill and we would be there before long. Though he could perceive we were in no rush and subsequently pulled over several times for picture opportunities. Topi, zebra, gazelle, wart hogs and birds seemed to be the welcoming committee. It was around 2:00 at that time and Peter wanted to get us checked in and fed so he pushed along and before long we were climbing the hill.




We had no idea what was waiting on the bluff perched so perfectly and alone in the middle of this vast land, but it would not disappoint. Refer to this
Masai Mara GrasslandMasai Mara GrasslandMasai Mara Grassland

Mara Grasslands.
map, which shows our lodge as #2. There were no other lodges for miles around and the isolation was perfect. We arrived and pulled into a circular driveway with other Safari jeeps and slowly unfolded our stiff bodies as we stumbled out and tried to stretch. Again we were greeted by smiling faces and cool wet washcloths with fresh orange juice. A crew of men started pulling bags out of the back and smacking them to remove the fine dust that adheres to them during the drive. Ah yes a shower sounded good. Lunch was almost over but they let us use the restrooms and then showed us to our table. This would be our family dining table for the next three days. The buffet was appetizing and plenty. I couldn’t consume enough liquid, as I tend to be a bit dehydrated on the trail wanting to keep my bladder empty.





The Mara Serene Lodge was conscientiously landscaped inside and out. Natural, yet colorful, understated but perfectly soothing and appropriate for the area. As we walked out of the dining hall into the main courtyard near the pool, I gasped. It was then that we
5 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara5 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara5 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara

Views over the pool with the Mara River below.This sky-blue pool was stunning set against this Mara backdrop. I sat under a palapa and took about 50 pictures. Zoom in, zoom out, catch a butterfly, catch a bird or even an insect. It was all-perfect.
could perfectly see just how spectacular the views were from atop this rise. Wow, wow, wow. It was about 3:00 pm now and there was stillness in the air. It could have been that my heart skipped a few beats, guess I’ll never know. A striking blue pool was the foreground to the awe-inspiring views of the Masai Mara below. I felt like I was in a hot air balloon floating over the land. Before I could really take it all in the staff shuffled us off to our rooms.





The stone pathways were flanked by lovely gardens that attracted hundreds of small white butterflies. I felt as if someone was sprinkling white confetti around us as another welcoming gesture.The rooms were faultless. This was definitely Nelda’s kind of Safari. The quarters had vibrant motifs, comfy beds and grand views. Even the bathroom was elegant and well stocked. I managed to get all my batteries plugged into their appropriate converters and freshened up a bit. With only an hour’s rest before our 4:00 safari I opted to take video and pictures. We had been worn-out from the ride in but the meal revived us and
3 Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara3 Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara3 Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara

I loved the architecture and colors of this beautiful building. The landscaping was perfect as well.
we were eager to see this wonderland up close and personal. I already surmised that three days would not be long enough in Shangri La, better known as the Mara Serena Lodge.







It was still warm when we pulled off the hill and the roof to the jeep was propped up. Binoculars, cameras and video in tow, we were ready for an adventure. There were a handful of other jeeps heading off in various directions but we trusted Peter to find interesting terrain and animals. Sure enough we immediately started spotting wildebeest and gazelle and many different birds. He drove over near the Mara River and while usually not allowed he found a safe area to let us out to take pictures of the hippo and crocodile. The hippo appeared to be bathing in liquid chocolate and the croc was macho shades of greens and yellows just baking in the sun on the mud banks. I’m sure awaiting some unsuspecting prey.





The vistas were just as stunning and enjoyable as the animals. Each bend we turned around was akin to being in a mobile art museum amid beautiful
3 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara3 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara3 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara

Views from the pathway show the pool and the lower crest of rooms with the Masai Mara grasslands below.
oil paintings. Peter detoured off the main road and took a trail not often used. Isolated large blue gray thunder clouds dropped rain on the terrain and only added drama to the adventure. Then, there in the road were a male and female lion sleeping side by side. Peter explained it was mating season and the cats just mate and sleep all day. There were flies all over them and they did not stir at our arrival. We got some great shots. We casually drove the back trails and then as the sun was setting meandered back towards the lodge. On the last stretch of road before the hill a small family of elephant appeared off the road to our right. They were not more than 15 feet off the road. We stopped and took some great shots and lots of video as they walked closer to us. The elephant were so close you could see every wrinkle and the gray skin tone looked more blue than gray. We could have gazed at them all night but Peter explained there are fines for being out after sunset. We hoped to see the elephant tomorrow and waved as we pulled away.
LionsLionsLions

A male and female lion are sleeping as it is mating season. They mate, sleep, mate sleep. Our arrival did not disturb them.
When the sun sets the air becomes cool and donning a sweater is a must especially if you are standing up with your head exposed to the open air. The Mara had little to no flying bugs on the trails but you would not want to leave your sliding door open in your room at night or it would look like a scene from the Travelocity “moth attack” commercial.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Masai Mara GrasslandMasai Mara Grassland
Masai Mara Grassland

Storm is approaching.
Masai Mara Grassland - BritMasai Mara Grassland - Brit
Masai Mara Grassland - Brit

Brittney enjoying the moment as our driver let us get out next to the Mara River to view the hippo. I think this shot sums up how we were feeling.
First  Mara Elephant sitingFirst  Mara Elephant siting
First Mara Elephant siting

Beautiful family of blue gray elephant greet us as if to say goodnight on our way back in from our first evening safari in the Mara.
Masai Mara TopiMasai Mara Topi
Masai Mara Topi

Beautiful Topi stand proud and stand guard.
Masai Mara GrasslandMasai Mara Grassland
Masai Mara Grassland

Sunset on the Mara
2 Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara2 Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara
2 Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara

View through the main pathway leading to our rooms.
4 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara4 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara
4 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara

View over the back end of lodge facing west. While hard to pick out on film you can easily see elephant, giraffe, wildebeest and zebra grazing below.I sat out on these benches for hours. I was not about to nap or read a book and miss a second of this. Only the dark and what loomed in the dark would drive me in.
9 Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara9 Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara
9 Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara

A shot of the inside of our room. Great color.
Masai Mara Safari TrailMasai Mara Safari Trail
Masai Mara Safari Trail

A safari trail as viewed from our rooms on the bluff. We had waved this van to turn around as a herd of elephant would be crossing the road behind them.
Masai Mara GrasslandMasai Mara Grassland
Masai Mara Grassland

Okay if anyone knows what these lights are please let me know. They were spectacular and even Peter had no idea what was causing this light show.
Mara Serena Lodge-Masai MaraMara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara
Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara

Early morning views off the pool deck waiting to go on game drive. With the smell of coffee in the air and other Safari goers milling around the anticipation of the morning game drives were palpable.
6 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara6 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara
6 Mara Serena Lodge-Masai Mara

There were lots of these colorful lizards lounging on rocks and warm walls. They added to the already colorful African motiff. I loved the brightly painted yellow and green light fixtures. There were birds everywhere. So much to take in. I was impressed with how beautiful the lodge was. I could have spent the whole 14 days there.
Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara 11Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara 11
Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara 11

Large Cacti type tree?
Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara 10Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara 10
Mara Serena Lodge -Masai Mara 10

Very cool spiked tree trunk.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb