The Mara of the Maasai


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Masai Mara NP
January 18th 2014
Published: January 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Cheetah at dawnCheetah at dawnCheetah at dawn

Cheetah surveys....
Having survived the night in a camp guarded by the mysterious Maasai we are up before dawn, entrance to the Maasai Mara begins at 6 am...we are the first vehicle in. Yesterday stuck in the mud of a surprise watering hole, our game drive cut short, we waited for 3 hours as the sun set over the vast plain and slowly, slowly the rescue tractor chugged into view.

Yesterday sunset, today dawn over the plains unchanged from time immorial. Gods playground! The mind thrills at the size...scope...the sheer variety of animal life! Here a cheetah surveys the misty morning landscape from the base of his favorite tree, impala, thompsons gazelles and topi bound to life, large herds of aggressive buffalo silently eyeball us while sullenly chewing their cud....

Away on the horizon a mammoth bull elephant patrols alone while impossibly tall giraffes pop their heads up over the scarce treetops regarding us with something between mild curiosity and indifference. Mother and baby elephant caked in mud rub and scratch their leathern hides against croton trees, wart hogs trot about very very busy indeed!

The Massai Mara is a magical place, even the vegetation is random and surprising following some incomprehensible rules or patterns unlike any in the more predictable world.

The animals a marvel of improbable shapes and functionalities. The elephants trunk, a hyenas jaws, a lions claws....the giraffes neck, an impalas' bounding gait! Incredible!!! And all laid out before you on a beautiful barely undulating muted tapestry for your viewing pleasure....

There is no more to say...just GO! Go! Treat yourself, find the time, find the money, make it a priority...

It's a marvel, a land of wonder...Gods playground! As it was then still now unchanged, unmodified, un tampered with....as it was meant to be.... From the creator to you with love, but perhaps not forever...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mother and babyMother and baby
Mother and baby

Mom and baby scratch their hides
Hyenas denHyenas den
Hyenas den

Mother and pups


27th January 2014

Love your posts! It is indeed magical. Enjoy!
29th January 2014

Thanks S

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb