Masai Mara


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Masai Mara NP
July 24th 2011
Published: August 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


[youtube=d1g_bKrhsg8][youtube=dYqVnpcVRgI]On Thursday 19th July Nic and I were up at 5:30am to get ready to be picked up at 6:30am for our 3 day trip to the Masai Mara. We were picked in a massive 4X4 by our guide for the 3 days John. On the way we started our decent into the rift valley, the views of the rift valley were amazing. After about 2 hrs driving we stopped of at Narok for a bite to eat and there we met 3 other guys, Ken, William and Juan, who where also on their way to the Masai. It turned out that they were not only staying at the same place as us, Mara Siria, but one of them just happened to know about me (basicly my cousin had put me in touch with a friend that might be able to find work over here, he in turn sent my CV to one of his partners who just happened to be the of the guys we met).

After lunch we headed off again to the Mara, took about another 2 and half hours along a very bumpy and dusty road, but to was worth all the bumps and dust. The camp we were staying at was on the western edge of the Mara on top of the Esoit Oloololo (Siria) Escarpment. We had the most amazing view over the whole of the Masai Mara. Had lunch and then it was off on our first drive. Got to see, Cheetah, Lioness, Wildebeest, Zebra, Giraffe, Warthog, Elephant, Hyena, Vultures and Ostrich not bad for the first days drive.

The next day we got a glimpse of a Leopard, however has they are one of the most hard to see of the big 5, once word got out there where about 30 other 4X4 around him so could get a good look at him. We also saw 3 lion cubs playing together which was just so cute ;-)) In the evening Nic and Myself, William, Ken and Juan had a meal together and shared a bottle of sparking wine. It was a good way to enjoy our last night on the Mara.

On our final day we went to have a look at a Masai Village. We where able to have a look inside one of the huts, couldn't see much as it was pitch black inside. Then the Masai men did their traditional jumping and the women sang a traditional song for us. It was then time to head back to Nairobi.

If you ever get the chance to go on Safari then I would recommend the Masai, it is an amazing place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 88, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb