Mt. Kenya Safari Club


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
July 14th 2006
Published: July 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Somewhere during our many day trips, many of the people we are traveling with have come down with stomach ailments of one type or another. Many are taking Cipro or whatever you call it, evidently a strong antibiotic that combats much of the G.I. problems those who suffer have currently. Myself, I have only had some mild issues here and there and am generally unbothered by the change of atmosphere, culture, and food, but some food that really tastes good wouldn’t hurt any… but I digress. Our trip today took us some 200km north of Nairobi, deep into the Rift Valley to the Mt. Kenya Safari Club, widely regarded as Kenya’s finest resort and hotel. Though the trip here really rattled the bones, it was well worth the journey. If you are ever in Kenya and have the chance, I strongly urge all to check it out. It is worth every bit of the money you will pay. The grounds are immaculate, butting up to a rushing river, greeted at the door with warm towels and fresh passion fruit juice, and a porter taking your bags to your room with a warm smile and gracious attitude. We had finally landed in the paradise we had hoped for.

Strolling the area can be quite a task, especially at 7000+ feet, as the fenced in resort covers many acres and has many nooks to hide from humanity in. But heed the warning at the initial gate, there are plenty of wild and wooly animals around that you should go about with a partner just to be safe. There is an executive nine-hole golf course that requires caddies (we will be playing that tomorrow!), a four star restaurant that features Western style cuisine and a largely South African wine list, a trophy room, a television room, gift shop, internet and fax/office area, and an impressive wall of fame that includes Marlon Brando, Clint Eastwood, John Travolta, Humphrey Bogart and Fred Astaire just to name a few. Probably the most impressive feature of this area is the sheer beauty it beckons the eye to respect and admire. The lush tropical surroundings deep with green mystery and the imposing mountain that seems to surround everything stand in sharp juxtaposition to the dusty golden brown of the rugged plains that we passed through to reach our destination. The overwhelming friendliness of the staff and security make one feel secure but are far enough removed from the experience that one feels as if he or she is “lord of the manor.” A very nice feeling compared to that of the Brakenhurst compound to say the least. From here we are planning a hot air balloon trip over a dawning Kenyan day, a couple of “game drives” that will no doubt provide us with ample opportunity to see some of the animals we only get to see at the zoo or on the Discovery Channel, and then we are off to our next destination and more safari. Hope everyone is doing well.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb