TickTock...


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
March 30th 2011
Published: April 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

From wild safari rides to rugged days in Masailand and everything in between, our days in Kenya could not have been more perfect. The month passed by in the blink of an eye and we find ourselves a hop, a skip, and a jump away from Europe. Filled with so many exhilarating highs and some thoroughly challenging lows, Lauren and I have grown so much from this third world experience. Though she has walked the streets of Africa before, the culture and poverty and rugged landscape overwhelmed us equally. There is a certain exhilaration that comes from walking a crowded street in a foreign country when you are the only person without the darkest of skin tones. A certain apprehension when you are staring at the cold steel barrel of a machine gun routinely carried by the police. A certain mental and physical resolve when you are eating foods that do not meet even the most flexible Western regulation. And a certain jubilation that arouses when you conquer all of these things and feel comfortable with your surroundings.
In only a short month, we feel that we were truly able to taste so much of what embodies Kenya. We were visually overwhelmed by the endless span of wildlife in the national parks. Our mental and emotional resolves were strained and tested in Masailand as we witnessed the poverty of television specials. Our vision lend a helping hand was fulfilled by each call of “Lekishon” and “Nosim” from the smiling faces of the Masai. We bodies and spirits were rejuvenated as we soaked up the equatorial sun and floated in the waters of the Indian Ocean. And along the way, we were befriended by Kenyans and travelers alike. Far more than faces in the crowd, these special encounters will, in all likelihood, far out live the visual stimulation.
Forgive the horrible cliché, but most importantly I take from Kenya a profound appreciation for the life I having waiting for me. My world is complete with clean water, electricity, bountiful food, warm blankets, processed garbage, and endless opportunity. I have a close knit family that supports me through all of my endeavors and a beautiful home to return to. I am surrounded by loyal friends who are privileged with the same luxuries as me. In actuality, it’s not the fact that I possess all of these things (though I am grateful after having had all stripped away for an extended period) and the Kenyans do not that makes me appreciates them. The source of my appreciation stems from the ability of even the poorest of Africans to be content with their lifestyle and to enjoy life as they know it.
With all of this in tow, we have our bags packed again for the next phase of our adventure. Not even half way home, we are headed to Spain to experience metropolitan culture in one of the world’s most renowned party cities.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb