Change of mind?


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
February 9th 2006
Published: February 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Markims map


parentsparentsparents

Parents making sure I got on the plane!
Having bored people stupid for a long time about how excited we were to be going, it was a bit unsettling the day before we were to fly to be thinking about whether it was such a good idea to be going after all. I mean, anyone in their right mind would jump at the chance to give up a good job, flat, friends and family to go to the arse-end of the world's poorest countries to live like pikies with no income, place to stay or any of modern lives luxuries - well wouldn't they? I made a mental note to make sure I commended myself on my courage if it works out to be an unmissable trip, and to blame Kim forever if it is anything but so less than so.

Our parents came to see us off at the airport which was really sweet, although my mum needed some convincing that we could probably make our own way from Heathrow to where we where staying when we come back. They are now absent of two children, but are surrounded by boxes upon boxes of our stuff in their lofts, sheds and garages.

Kim has happily embraced the notion that we are now on a travellers budget and our means are more limited than before. She proudly showed off how she had chosen only the second most expensive box of sushi from Pret at the airport.

First impressions of Nairobi is that it is like most other poor cities in the world - only it is ten times more expensive! We blew our weeks budget in the first day. So much is made of the fact that you can't walk down the streets at all without being robbed of all your possessions. I'm beginning to think this is an elaborate hoax to extort taxi money from you on a continual basis.

Our hotel is literally falling down around our ears. Not from rustic decay I might add, but by the 50 workmen on site who are systematically knocking down the hotel. I guess we are probably the last people to stay here before it is closed. Kim was determined to sunbathe by the pool for a while, and I think the foreman found that very little work was being done during that time.

Advertisement



30th April 2006

Space
We have only just found a space for everything- but we have both had to move out!!! Still its worth it.

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb