Amboseli


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
January 9th 2006
Published: January 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We spent another day at Amboseli park and saw more wildlife. We have been so lucky seeing cats every day. Lions, cheetahs and leopards.

We visited with the Maasai tribe and watched them dance today. The men jump very, very high. We were offered 10 cows for Crista and apparently a cow is worth $200 U.S. - not bad.. I'm glad we held out. Anyway, we chatted with a man from the Maasai tribe for about an hour. There are approx 2 million Maasi people in Kenya and Tanzania. They are not hard to miss, they wear bright red clothes (lions get scared and run when they see red) and they are very tall and lean. They are lean because they only eat meat (cow, goat and sheep) and drink milk and cow blood. Some of the Tanzania Maasai are getting into farming and have added maize to their diet.

The women are about 15 when they get married and the men about 25. The richer the man, the more wives they can have. The witch doctor has 10 wives. Each wife has approx 8 children, non of them belong to the mother. The father has custody of all children and the mother has no rights.

Many of the people live many hours from the cities and are starving and dying. Malaria is the number one killer, followed by HIV and then yellow feaver.

From what we have heard, much of the aid does not actually make it to the people who need it most. We are feeling very guilty and feel that we are being extravagent.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb