Day 2 in Kenya


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
August 31st 2008
Published: August 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

So, I’ve made it to the end of day 2 without seeing or hearing from VSO - and I haven’t panicked yet!

Another VSO couple, Mark and Lucy, and I arrived at the Methodist Guest House Friday night after a pretty smooth trip from Heathrow to Nairobi and a quick pick up by Peter, a taxi driver who does a lot of work for VSO. I’d love to write some witty observations about the decor and service, but I was so tired I can barely remember arriving. I think I just smiled and nodded a lot.

We were hopeful about hearing from someone on Saturday about the plan until Wednesday (when we’re booked to be here until) but no joy. But by the end of the day we had given up and were accepting the pole, pole (slowly, slowly) attitude. Don’t think it was a wasted day though - we managed to buy some Safaricom sim cards with which it seems we can text, call some people, but can’t receive either texts or calls. 3 calls to customer services later and still no joy. Hopefully we’ll get something sorted tomorrow. I also managed to meet the resident cat and her kitten who are both extremely cute. A Puerto Rican Lutheran clergyman (who we later discovered is called Mario) told us he had christened the cat Missouri (no idea why) and gave it milk from his coffee. They seem to spend all their time outside the dining room looking incredibly cute.

After a strenuous round of lunch, dinner and lots of tea we ended the day with a round of shithead which is going to have to be renamed so as not to offend the many earnest Americans who asked us what we were playing. Mario joined us and we played for a few hours before bed and a catch up on world news with Al Jazeera.

Today was quite a lot more exciting. We assumed VSO wouldn’t be coming around so we called Peter early and arranged to go out to visit some orphaned elephants and a giraffe centre, followed by a wildlife walk. It was so nice to get outside of the Methodist Centre and see what Nairobi really looks like. There is a restaurant called Carnivore that sells lots of game meat on the way to the Nairobi National Park - intriguing. He brought his son and daughter with him and she was excellent in helping us with the Swahili names for the animals. The elephants were so sweet - playing in the mud and play fighting. They came close to the rope separating us from them and walked in to the crowd, sliming a few unfortunates with mud as they passed. They are all rescued orphan infants (under 2 years) who will stay in the nursery until they’re ready to go to Tsavo National Park to be with the other children and teenagers who have already made the move. Giraffe Manor was equally informative but loads of fun. We were able to feed the giraffes by putting the food pellets on their tongues but drew the line at putting the pellets between our lips and getting a wet kiss from them.

Finally we headed off for some food and a walk around the fenced in bit of the NP and saw some big cats and pygmy hippos, etc. All good but very tiring at this point. I was pretty happy to head home for a shower and some time to relax (and write this). I expect VSO will get here tomorrow and we will do some language training or administration or something. Hopefully they’ll help get the phones sorted too and then communications systems will be properly up before heading off to the coast on Wednesday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



31st August 2008

... a world away...
Babe - I can't quite believe that last week you were sitting at the Coach House in Brighton and now you're taking photos of orphaned elephants! Quite surreal..... enjoy enjoy. xxx
1st September 2008

Bugs
Tell us about the bugs! If I am to ever even remotely consider doing what you're doing, I need to know how much of a threat they are! Have you been pillaged by giant scarabs or anything yet?
1st September 2008

Good start?
Sounds like a fun start but possibly "dry"!!?? No doubt you will all find the Tuska later! Keep blogging its a great way to communicate. XX
1st September 2008

Good start?
Jambo Emma. Sounds like a typically good start for you? But - whats this? No Tuska yet?? No doubt the "dry" season will end soon - er perhaps once you are out of Methodist accommo? Keep blogging - I am almost there with you.XX
2nd September 2008

get celtel
wow - vso sound just as organised as my organisation... ;-)) I recommend getting celtel - you just put the simcard in and it works; plus you'll have roaming all over east africa ;-))
4th September 2008

So excited you have a blog!! Be sure to post many many entries so we can all keep updated on whats sure to be one of your many experiences of a lifetime! xxx
6th September 2008

wow emma sounds like you are having a good time miss you xx
6th September 2008

wow you´re actually ther NOW :)
hahahaha!it´s great to read along with what´s going on! i will keep myself updated :) hope to see it all for myself soon! much love and respect!M.
9th September 2008

Wow...
It all sounds amazing - hope you're having fun! I can't believe the animals, ur so lucky! Elephants look really cute. I have texted u a few times, hope they've got through, but if not, thanks for your messages and we miss u loads!!! XXXX
10th September 2008

Hi Emma! Sounds like you've had a brill time with the wildlife so far! I so can't wait to come out too. Hope things have moved a long a little. Keep in touch! Rach x

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb