The Great Adventure-Ch.5 Transformations


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
June 28th 2008
Published: June 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One thing about my job/life is that I get to see transformations before my eyes. Sometimes the transformations are slow like the growth of a flower and sometimes they are as quick as a drastic haircut (which I had not so long ago).

Last week I got to be part of watching three little lives experience transformations.

My friend Janice, from Texas, and her husband Phil have been coming to Kenya for a number of years. They had a big dream placed in their hearts to start a home where they could take in and raise some of the orphaned and abandoned boys of this country. They’ve worked diligently over the last years and created a “Haven on the Hill”. It lies two hours outside of Nairobi and is situated beautifully among the tea and pineapple plantations in a place called Gatundu. It feels quite far but that could be because it takes over an hour to drive the last bumpy 12.5 miles. One could drive it a bit faster if they don’t mind blowing a tire or tearing their suspension apart.

After months of planning, clearing, building and finding staff it was finally time to get the
My New NephewsMy New NephewsMy New Nephews

Kelvin, John, Godfrey, Baby James and Joshua at Haven on the Hill.
kids. I was so blessed to get to be a part of this. Janice was like an expectant parent the night before the babies arrived. We were anxious for the morning so we could go meet these little children that have been discarded by their families. Not even old sneakers are thrown out so easily. They are worn, especially in the village, until the children’s little toes pop right through, making an instant transformation from tennis shoe to sandal.

First stop was Kenyatta Hospital which is a government facility. If you haven’t been in a govt. hospital in a developing country, don’t bother putting it on your “Places I Must See” list. The smell and despair seep right through your clothing, under your skin into your heart and are hard to shake once leaving the facility.

We went to the hospital to get baby James. James is a rolly polly baby of 1 yr. and 10 months. He has spent the last eight months in the hospital after his mamma brought him. She decided she had better things to do with her time so she left and never came back. Jame’s home because a rusty, rickety crib where
Janice's first additionsJanice's first additionsJanice's first additions

Picking up Godfrey and Joshua from the state run orphanage.
he amazingly made friends with staff and other mothers that stayed with their sick babies. He is an amazing child full of laughter and smiles, despite his circumstances. He is shaky on his feet because he didn’t get that much time to walk around, the majority of time was spent sitting or standing in his crib.

We thought we had all the paperwork in order but one never really does when it comes to dealing with the government. After hours of dealing with the social worker, making calls, and sending faxes we walked out of the hospital, to the dismay of the doctors who are desperate to get the abandoned children out, without baby James. More papers were needed and we were told to return the next day.

We didn’t want to waste the day so we drove across town down to Nairobi Children’s Home. This is the state run orphanage where our Babies at IAA came from. It is also a place where I would rather not spend any time due to the desperation and hopelessness of the children.

The social worker there had two three year old boys ready to be signed over to Janice.
Thumbs up on the new pantsThumbs up on the new pantsThumbs up on the new pants

Godfrey with his extended belly due to malnutrition, worms, and who knows what else likes new clothes!
She was nervous about getting little ones but once these little guys shuffled their way into our room and we saw their innocence and the fear radiating from their faces, there was no way to turn them away. One had been found wandering the streets during the “war” back in January and the other had been beaten and cut by the mother and dropped at the hospital. Joshua and Godfrey are their names and it took all of two seconds for us to fall in love with them.

We loaded them in my car, took them out to eat and watched them stare in amazement at EVERYTHING. We then went to the market to buy them some clothes. Janice stayed in the car with them while Fridah, our social worker, and I ran to make the purchases. It wasn’t long before Janice called to us for help saying that Joshua had been saying something to her in Swahili then proceeded to poo in my car. That thing he was saying was, “I need a bathroom!”…sometimes the language barrier is really a bother. We then brought them to my house for the night. Next came bath time. Since we had
scarsscarsscars

Only God knows what has happened to this child.
not had their HIV/AIDS test done yet we wanted to be cautious. I pulled out my lovely kitchen gloves from the wonderful dollar store in America that I miss so much, and bathed the little guys. It was heartbreaking to see the oozing sores all over Joshua’s bottom. He had been ill and after a visit to the Dr. we found out he had rota-virus. The little guy never complained because I think he was in paradise now that people were being nice to him, feeding him and putting clean clothes on him. There are no barriers where smiles and giggles are involved. These boys started talking and playing and came to life. Godfrey was another sight with all his scars on his back and ear. It looks as if someone took a knife and practiced their carvings on his back. He ear had been cut by the mom so it was still tender to the touch.

Day #2 we were back at the hospital and were ready to give up after being told to jump through more hoops. We told the social worker of the hospital we were leaving because there are many more children that we could
Going home in Auntie's CarGoing home in Auntie's CarGoing home in Auntie's Car

The boys wearing their new threads, heading for their next adventure, whether they were ready or not.
get. A lady who regularly came to visit James came up to us and started encouraging us. She told us she had been praying for a good home for James and that someday God was going to use his life to bless others. We told her we couldn’t get him and she implored us to keep trying. She was quoting scripture and telling us we must fight for him or else he will continue to simply exist in that hospital instead of thriving like he should. We knew she was right be we felt beat down. Once the social worker heard we were going to leave he changed his tune and said he would do the other paper work but not to leave without the baby. So, we ended up walking out with him and the other children and mothers all but lined the halls to bid him farewell. This truly is a special child.

We figured we better feed the kids before taking them for the 3 hour ride to the site (due to traffic) so we went to a local grocery/restaurant, loaded them all into one cart and pushed them along. It was quite the site.
Godfreys bathGodfreys bathGodfreys bath

The gloves were just a safety measure since we didn't know if the kids had any sicknesses. Check out that bathtub...try not to be jealous.

The ride out was interesting as Godfrey decided to scream for a good 20 minutes, James was sleeping in Janice’s lap and she was trying to balance baby and keep Godfrey in his seatbelt, our social worker had left, Joshua sat like the good little boy he is, and I tried to drive and talk to Godfrey over his screams in my limited Swahili.

The night that followed was just as painful as part of the drive. I can’t imagine what was going on in these little guy’s heads. Their whole lives have been dramatic and painful. It was such an amazing thing to take them to their new home, where they have a new mom, and the can play in the dirt, and run in the hills, and sleep in a bed and eat good food. And we pray the transformation runs deep in order to turn their scars into strengths and that their pain will dissipate and be replaced with peace.

As Baby James sat and played in the dirt for the first time, surrounded by hills and green tea plantations and simplicity I was reminded that the Grandeur of God reveals itself in simple things.
Home!Home!Home!

Baby James playing in...then eating the dirt and the other boys playing ball.
How blessed I am to get to be a spectator.

Janice went to get two more boys, James and Kelvin, the following day and will get an 8 yr. old next week. Please say a prayer for these 6 little men and the whole project. They will grow with time, both the boys and the project, in order to bless many more children.

Thanks to ALL who help us build and sustain these orphanages. There are a lot of happy little people because of you!

With much gratitude,
jennifer

If you would like to continue to help support any of the projects please earmark your tax deductible check and send to:
ITHM
23223 S. Warmstone Way
Katy, Texas 77494




Advertisement



30th June 2008

blessings
Jen what an amazing story. My heart is again captured by the depth of love and care Janice and your self have shown to these young ones. As I was reminded again on Sunday and have been reflecting on through the week, what a powerful and awesome God we serve. I'm so pleased Janice has been successful in opening the children's home. Please pass on my greetings.
30th June 2008

Hooray
Praise the Lord for God's moving in the lives of these little boys. I also praise Him that you are not bored. Love, Beth
1st July 2008

Just visiting
I am a bit embarrassed to say that I came upon your blog from searching for pics of Kenya to see what people wear (we are going to a theme birthday party and our country is Kenya). I am a Canadian in South Africa for the year with my husband, we are volunteering for a Christian Community Development program for the year in a rural area near Durban. I just wanted to let you know how much I loved reading your story of the new home for the boys. After being here in the townships and rural areas and visiting the government hospitals and some of the overcrowded orphanages I know what an amazing thing Janice is doing!! Thank you for sharing the story, these boys will be in my prayers!
1st July 2008

Keep it up
Hi Jen, Frenetic pace you seem to maintain. Well done to you and Janice on the Gatundu project, be blessed. Am praying for multifold blessings and stones in your crowns. Love Johnny
2nd July 2008

Godsend
Jennifer this is a powerful message about faith, hope, commitment and obedience. Now the boys will have a chance to be all that they can be. God bless you, Janice and her husband for being so caring and strong. Hopefully I will get a chance to meet them next year when I come. I've added you all to my prayers and God bless you.
4th July 2008

The Heart of God
Jen, God has truly blessed you with a loving heart and the willingness to share that heart with others. Oh that I might model my life in such a way. God bless you. You are in my prayers.
13th July 2008

Blessed to know you
This week has been hard for me Jen. As you know i,m in chiropractic school in Pasadena, TX. Rita and I have lived on tight budget for so long I applied for personal loan to have more than a hundred dollars in bank at any time. Well, we were denied. My spirit was crushed Rita has put up with so much living with out me in TN handling everything. I wanted a small comfort for her. Anyway God directed my path to your blog. He shows me that, "all things work to good for those that love God, and are called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28). "No calamity has befallen you except that which is common to man, God Is Faithful, He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear, but when tempted He will make a way of escape, that you can bear it." (1Cor. 10:13) I wish we could give financially more often. I want you to know that every morning when I pray and put on the armor, I put it on you also, as well as many other ministries that we love. God is with you, keep on fighting the good fight of faith. You are loved and appreciated not only by those you help, but also by those you inspire. Thank You, God Bless.
24th July 2008

I miss you!
AUNT JEN! tell my mom I have to come to kenya asap! i miss you!!!!!! A LOT! like i'm starting to cry just thinking about how much I miss you! I realllyyyyy want to go to Thailand with you! BUT, you are going when I have to go off to college...sooo you should go like a week earlier. :] missss you! and you should text me! or at least email me!!! (and not a mass email!) k thanks! LOVEEEEE YOU! <3 chelsea

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb