Beautiful Kenya


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
February 3rd 2008
Published: February 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

January 2007 we managed to take a week out of our busy schedule to see a bit of Kenya. It was amazing and on many occasions took my breath away (Nat).

Nat: I had always wanted to go on safari and considering we were only in Kenya for a week we didn't have many options. We travelled about an hour away from our hotel to a reserve called Shimba Hills for the night.

On the way to the lodge we went on our first game drive, which we were not aware this was going to happen. Me being me, I wasn't dressed for the occasion. So just before we were about to go through the gates I had to do a quick stop in the toilets (if you can call them that) to get my safari gear on.

We were about 10 minutes into the drive and we saw our first elephant! I had seen elephants before, but this was different. It was absolutely amazing!!

We carried on for about an hour and then we came across about 5 elephants. There was one baby and I don't think he was best pleased we were there. He kept flapping his ears and warning us to go away. He was so cute! And of course we did what he said and retreated back. After catching a few more animals we headed back to lodge for the night.

The lodge was brilliant! It was like a huge treehouse. It was built around a waterhole were animals come to drink. Unfortunately there hadn't been much rain recently so we weren't expecting much, but that evening we had the pleasure of an elephant feeding just below us. He stayed for hours.

The next morning we woke up at 6am to go on another game drive. The morning sun over Shimba hills is breath taking!

The week was going very quickly and we really wanted to see other parts of Kenya so we travelled to Wasini Island.

We travelled to the Island on a Dow boat and on the way we stopped off on a deserted Island. It was the size of a football pitch so you can understand why it is deserted.

Wasini Island is a Muslim fishing Island and very much thrives off the tourist industry. And the kids sure know it. We have never had so many new best friends.

When we first got there we met a few children and they asked for sweets etc, very cheeky! We had come prepared, knowing this would happen. One minute there were 2 children and then suddenly you turn around and there is about 10. Word travels fast on the Island.

After spending the day at Wasini we headed back to the hotel for a nice stiff drink and lots of aftersun!!!!

Kenya was definately an experience we would recommend to anyone! Just hope we will have the chance to go back someday!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Shimba HillsShimba Hills
Shimba Hills

On safari - not far from the vehicle!!
ElephantsElephants
Elephants

There were about 5 but too slow with the camera!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb