A Birthday with a difference


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
July 2nd 2007
Published: August 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After last years birthday spent paragliding in Switzerland, this year we were in Africa. We finished our Gorilla tour on the Saturday and spent Sunday relaxing at the hotel. We had booked to fly back to the UK on the Monday evening (my birthday) but during the day we went to see our World Vision Sponsor child Mbithe, who lives about 3 hours out of Nairobi.

We have sponsored Mbithe for 12 years since she first entered into the World Vision child sponsorship program at the age of 5. She is in her second last year of secondary school and is the top girl in her class and 3rd overall.

We were picked up by World Vision staff and driven out to her village seeing various World Vision projects along the way. We were then taken to Mbithe's school where her parents had also been invited. When we arrived at the remote and very small school, we were obviously a novelty to the rest of the students, and we later found out that we were the first white people to ever visit the school. The school itself is a very typical African school, basic buildings, no windows or doors,
Our sponsor child Mbithe & parentsOur sponsor child Mbithe & parentsOur sponsor child Mbithe & parents

Mbithe is the 7th child in this family and the only girl. She wants to be a doctor when she gets older.
but the kids don't seem to mind as they are grateful just to get an education.

Meeting Mbithe and her parents was a great experience and it really brought home how much a small sponsorship support really means to a family in a third world country. They refered to us as her second parents!! It was a great way to spend my birthday and a really good way to finish our 6 months in Africa.

What's next. Well we just spent some time in the UK enjoying the summer (well that was the intention). Then tomorrow (15th August) we then go back to Africa to meet up with my family from Australia and then travel through Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia, ending up in Victoria Falls. Beyond that Rachel and I will then go to Botswana to the Okavango Delta before heading back to the UK to find somewhere to live, work and settle down for a while. Bye for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Mbithe and her class matesMbithe and her class mates
Mbithe and her class mates

Mbithe took a fancy to Rachel's sunglasses.


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 92; dbt: 0.0976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb