We're Here


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
February 4th 2006
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

London - Nairobi


We arrived safely after one hell of a journey with Peter Smith keeping us on our toes by booking a connecting flight 2 hours after landing in Jo'burg-trying to gear us up for the year ahead 'ey Pete?! There were a few tense moments as our flight out of Heathrow was an hour delayed! We also got stuck at immigration behind 2 illegals who had no chance of getting in! This added with confusion over whether our bags had gone straight to Kenya or not resulted in us recreating the scene from Home Alone when they realised they've lost Kevin-lots of running with heavy backpacks while Becs attempted to give Indian Head massages with her healing hands to lower the pressure... didnt work but nice try Green!
Jo Whit spied the receptionist from AXA at Heathrow and flew past her at 100 miles an hour at Jo'burg shouting good luck whilst simultaneously trying to carry the heaviest backpack ever and find the check in desk! We eventually boarded the Kenya flight... lots of space for sleeping - although Becs claimed to be far too excited a la the Euro Disney advert, however, was out for the count before we took off. After about 16 hours of flying and many more waiting and running, sure enough the big friendly Namibian face was waiting to greet us. Our huge group hug blocked the exit from the baggage hall and resulted in Jo Smith having her ankles shattered by a very pissed off long haul passenger with a trolley! From our 1 1/2 hour transfer, we've discovered that Nairobi has lots of traffic, is very hot and dry, and the street kids sell weed in cones (Jorn lie number 1... actually peanuts!) We arrived at hotel and dumped bags in the room - the hotel is lush, beaut pool, gardens, room and most importantly amazing bar which sorted us out nicely for the evening spent drinking Tusker lagers (Si... it's beaut!) We got distracted by a flock of Sacred Ibis in the trees opposite the bar to which Jorn pointed out the reason they were so noisy was because they were afraid of heights (Jorn lie number 2!) Becs and Jo S believed him for a fair while mind! We had a big catch up with Jorn and have started our big book of Pipisms (did you know that Penguins fall over backwards when they watch a plane go over their heads?)
We spoke about the trip and discovered we're staying at Jorn's farm when we get to Namibia, how exciting! We also learned that we are going to the Serengeti for bush camps with the roaming Lions - apparently Jorn needs to put his tent in the middle of everyone so he is easily accessible, however, we know the truth is so that we are all protecting him from the Lions - you can't out fox us that easily Jorn. We're also going to Zanzibar where the sea is as warm as a bath and the pineapple juice is the sweetest you have ever tasted - that will go down nicely with a big shot of Smirnoff! We also found out the male / female ratio of passengers on the truck - approx 22 girls to 5 blokes - Ryan you'd love it!
We had an early night and woke up late this morning, spent the afternoon lying by the pool. We watched 2 beautiful wedding processions at the hotel with gorgeous immacualtely dressed children. Apparently Leanne will be here later so we are going to catch up with her and meet the other passengers at the pre departure meeting.
Love to all xx
Over and out.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb