No direction home


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
November 28th 2006
Published: November 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After a very long, tiring and emotional flight we arrived in Nairobi late on Friday night. BA had forced us to check in one of our hand baggage as it had bottles on it and this, predictably, didn't make the flight. We were promised it first thing on Saturday but didn't get the bag back until Tuesday minus one mobile phone....nice!
Saturday we kicked back and went to both the Elephant and Giraffe orphanages in Nairobi before our second shock of the tour arrived.
The travel guitar is no more! Whilst changing rooms in the hotel one of the porters must have whacked it on a door frame and the headstock was in two by the time I tried to play it. Major bummer and the insurance claim is going to roll on for a while.
Sunday we headed to the Masai Mara on what can only be described as a dirt track. This main road is surely an early contender for the worst road in the world. It claimed two suspension springs and one tyre on the round trip in our eight person mini-buses. Naturally my back was pleased to reach the camp.
Torrential rain put an end to our hopes of an early game drive on Sunday so we had to wait until the morning, which turned out to be an awesome day.
Monday's game drive treated us to Lions, Giraffes, Wildebeast, Gazelles, Cheetahs, a Leopard (with very recently deceased Thompon's Gazelle) and finally a Rhino. This latter was found only through our insistance to our mad driver that we needed to see the big 5 in one day (the first time he'd completed this feat apparently).
We headed back from the camp yesterday for one night in Nairobi before we head for Tanzania tomorrow.
Both are fit and well if a little narked by our fare share of misfortune so far.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb