Week 4


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
November 6th 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Unbelievable!Unbelievable!Unbelievable!

a trip to the local open air butchers for a touch of fine rump steak and fillet of duck for luncheon????? No fridges, meat sat on the dirty work top and pigs,goats & all things nice hanging freely for all the flies to taste for us! very Kenyan and we love it!
Wow! What an amazing week we've had.
After the disappointment of last week I needed something to really make me believe that we are here and making a difference rather than just being here!
This week has installed so much belief and confidence in me I feel like a new person. Its probably been one of the best, most fulfilling weeks of my life!
We've met some incredible people, seen some incredible places and more importantly ate some incredible food lol! the new project locations have really opened up my eyes and my belly ummmm!
Anyway I really cant stay too long because I have to train the local rugby team but I've tried putting a fair bit of informatuion with the pics so go take a look gimps!
The weekend is missing as I have no battery on my camera but we had another cracker that invlolved plenty of tusker, lots of sex (only joking) and me nearly getting kicked out of a bar because they thought i was a muslim! Very strange indeed but I'll make sure the pics go on next week!
Anyway take care everybody and speak soon! Miss you all, Ben
P.S sorry about the brief
Thats not me, honest!Thats not me, honest!Thats not me, honest!

My first trip to Tesso to look after the orphans group and visit the widowed womans group. was a great day and the kids were brilliant though I mustn't have been feeling right when i got out the gayball! Talk about desperation!
entry!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

And its Hi ho silver lining!And its Hi ho silver lining!
And its Hi ho silver lining!

From playing gayball to singing with the orphans...Kenya does strange things to people! Was such fun and so fulfilling to bring so much joy and happiness to these kids, I want one!
A gorgeous Kenyan OrphanA gorgeous Kenyan Orphan
A gorgeous Kenyan Orphan

A shining example of how beautiful these kiddlywinks are! She has lost both parents and is looked after by her 7 year old sister, amazing!
Anna and lipstick saying farewell to there womans groupAnna and lipstick saying farewell to there womans group
Anna and lipstick saying farewell to there womans group

All the ladies here are widowed through H.I.V and spend there time looking after the orphans amongst the community. The 2 nearest the camera have asked me to marry there daughters one of which is 15! But apparently thats fine! Bless
how cute is shehow cute is she
how cute is she

My favourite little darling at Mount Elgon. it took me two weeks but I finally got a smile out of her she is adorable! A very sad story behind her though, her mother died an hour after giving birth. a few days later she was found in the middle of a field wrapped in a tiny blanket and is now 7 months old though through starvation and deprivation(dunno if thats the right word!)she is the weight and size of a three month old baby. her grandmother now takes care of her but is HIV positive and doesn't have long left, talk about tear jerking. I really want to take her home with me!
Zach and MorganZach and Morgan
Zach and Morgan

two brothers who were rescued by Omwabini from there b*#tard uncle after they ran to neighbours starved and severely beaten. After there father died, he left them some land and there uncle decided he would like it so the best way to get it was to attempt to get rid of the boys. Omwabini got the police involved and the boys lived at our compund for a number of weeks before returning to Mount Elgon to stay with there auntie who now cares for them and man is she doing a good job. Hopefully they'll be a happy ending for a change!
A family home in Mount ElgonA family home in Mount Elgon
A family home in Mount Elgon

Home to a family of 8, the floor sleeps six kids and the parents have the bed. Thankfully we this week finished a new house for this family so they should now be able to lead a normal life. After 4weeks it still amazes me how these people survive.
He cried "Let there be light".....He cried "Let there be light".....
He cried "Let there be light".....

A stupidly early start to reach the top of Mount Elgon for an African sunrise. Who climbed the mountain first, must be me! Not that We lads are competitive over here!
Happy clappers, oops shouldnt really say that! Happy clappers, oops shouldnt really say that!
Happy clappers, oops shouldnt really say that!

Our final venture of the week was to Quekagabi (or something like that) for a "commissioning of the oxen ceremony". Another ladies group that work there arses off to feed and provide for the community, only problem was that until today they ploghed fields with there bare hands! The welcome we received was the warmest imaginable and will stay with me forever, truly remarkable.
And there off!  And there off!
And there off!

A typically disobedient oxen, but I wasnt gonna tell him so! As Kenyan tradition for providing the community with the ox and plough, we are treated to a live show of "breaking in the Oxen" (not what it sounds like honest!) It just means that they plough a sectioon of land for the first time, though these fellas were not game!


6th November 2006

wow, still having an amazing time by the looks and sounds of it! keep up the good work bro! i'm so jealous, it really does look incredible! were all very proud of you, take care lots of love x x x
6th November 2006

from mum
whats with the gay ball!youre looking really good son the pics and comments are lovely for us to read back home it lets us know you are fine take care love mum x
7th November 2006

having a good time benny boy
i thought u was meant 2 be working????? na only jokeing buddy looks real nice out there m8 and u look like your enjoying it? still trying 2 get all this sponsor money sorted hopefully soon though..... take care of yourself anyway and see u soon. tom p.s mum said u could bring them all home with u lol and remember to tell them of your famous brother mind......... cheers m8
8th November 2006

that lil girls qute
hiya ben the picture of u holding that baby girl is s o nice... shes looks reli qute... love stef xx
9th November 2006

Hi
Hello there Ben, nice to see you are looking so well, great website, you're obviously enjoying making a difference out there , if you get bored when you're back home our garden needs doing, we'll leave the extension until you're building skills have improved!!! Surprise to see that you have started playing football!!! ahve you given up egg chasing!!!. Chard 1st beat Gordano 43-10 away, 2nds lost 10-17 to North Dorset. Take care and keep posting we'll be in touch and have passed on the details of the site to Emily and Liam, Neil currently computerless, we're posting him paper copy. Jed and Sharon
14th November 2006

Hey ho benny boy!!
hey Benny, sounds like you are having a great tima saving the world! Me and the girls are now on Ko Phi Phi off thailand and loving that too! Had the 2nd day of our diving course today- saw lots of really lovely looking fish- its really cool! our website is www.getjealous.com/thecleeves if you get a chance for a nosey! Just spoke to emily- makes me feel like im back home! Hope your well, lots of love jessie xxxx Ps- love the stories- i bet the whole of africa will be singing Werzals songs before you leave!!
20th November 2006

Hello mate
Heya sounds like a good experience, hope it continues. Nice 2 hear what u hav bin up 2, hope the rugby training went well. Liked the picture of the sunset, reminded me of the lion king. Hope all is well, sounds like we shall have a new topic to disscuss at the bar!, whats this tusker like then?

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb