mombasa


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Coast Province » Mombasa
March 4th 2006
Published: March 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

we made it here, in relative comfort. T
the morning we left for kenya we had asked to have our breakfast prepaired early... at 6:30 instead of 7 am. we arrived at 6:15 just to ensure it was all going according to plan. by 7:15 we deicded to leave our complimentary breakfast behind because it was taking forever to make 2 boiled eggs 2 pieces of plain white bread (not even toasted) and a banana and tea.

we arrive at the bus terminal with some time to spare (about 5 minutes) so I grabbed a fantastic to go brekafsat for paul and I and we boarded the bus. lo and behold....... the bus left on time, even 10 seconds early.

paul witnessed a crazed man talking about killing bush and praising saddam. we know he was crazy and not just fanatical, because he dropped to the floor and fell fast asleep in a matter of 4 seconds. following that, he stood up, stole a piece of 4 foot long robe from a maasai man (with a big stick) and hid it in his suitcase. all this infront of a room of 60 people.
the maasai (with a big stick) was suitably unimpressed that a mwizi (theif) had taken his robe and slapped him across the face and screamed 'mwizi' . this normally results in the beating death of the person accused of being a mwizi. today, because this man was crazy he was left off the hook.

the border crossing was relativly uneventful. it cost both of us $50 usd to get a kenyan visa. I excpected this.

Mombasa is a large and dirty city. It seems to be more westernized than Tanzania and much more so than malawi or mozambique.
Lots to eat, drink and buy.

We've managed to book another safari for the maasai mara reserve (kenyan side of the serengeti) and climbing mt.kenya. If you don't hear from us, its b/c we are on a 10 day stint of touristic activities.
tomorrow we leave mombasa via the train (first class) to nairobi where we are met by the safari company . 3 days 2 nights in maasai mara and 6 days 5 night on mt.kenya and 1 night inbetween in nairobi. all of this is chauffered and organized for us. I feel a little silly, seeing as we have made it all this way doing it our selves, but I think this will be a nice break.
After the mountain we'll likley spend a few days in nairobi and then fly to cairo (which I think goes via Doha a town in the middle east)


Mom, ok no cats, chickens or spain. my love to erin.

much more after a few days on safari and today we'll explore old town (like zanzibar) and hit up a few markets.

Advertisement



4th March 2006

How interesting! That crazed man must have been an interesting sight to see. I was just wondering, have you seen any sort of rain at all in these past couple of months?
5th March 2006

ah, crazy people on a train talking about killing President Bush. It's just like being in the states. hope all is well Love always.

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb