More Musings


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Coast Province » Mombasa
February 14th 2007
Published: February 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Only a few days have passed since my last blog but they have been so fun packed, today especially i felt the urgent desire to tell the entire about them. Also, my mind is kinda like a big information sieve at the moment, days are flying by so fast, i am finding it hard to remember stuff from a few days back so i thought i would joy it down to remind me as much as anything.

So, after another mildly sunburnt day at the beach i retreated back to the homely surroundings for games of cards which got everyone slightly too exciteable than is natural for pieces of numbered paper and then retired to bed for well earned resty.

So, to Mondays fine happenings, of which they were many, and shall tell you now through the medium of finger-typing.

Monday was probably the most difficult day of the week so far, although by no means a drag, as i had nursery again in the morning which was real good fun, Mosa and Mwangi seem to be smiling ever more and more these days, and just from playing and messing around rather than from going on the swing or things like that. Definetly my favourite part of the day is playing with those two for sure, although trying to explain the potty is not in their pants is slightly less appealing, i thinkt he record for most changes in a day(morning really cos they go to sleep at 12.30) was once last week, Mosa peeing himself 7 times, oh the Joviality.
So the afternoons class, was really good stuff, i really made an effort and they seemed torespond well i think, altough they were pretty lazy but all in all it was fine.

Nice to see Simon back at the house after his couple-week absence to Mt kenya with John and then Tanzania, we went for a quick Dormans later in the evening which was really nice, one of the waitresses there is a good laugh, she is slowly using my visits to teach me a more nuanced usage of Swahili, which is fun.

Anyway, we also got a new woman at Dicksons from i to i by the name of Signe, shes really nice, around 30 i think and from Denmark. So anyway, to toosdays day, another really positive day, esp. teaching wise, which went really very well and the kids who tried seemed to really try hard, which to me is all that matters, if i get them to concentrate is worth more than any correct answer really. Quite an easy morning, i ambled in at 10 o gloch after getting some monies so i had it pretty easy. Really pleased with Vinces' work this week so far, apart from Monday when he ended up biting Poppy and me, but this is quite normal behaviour but he has been awesome since and it always makes more of an imprint when he tries hard.

So, last night we went to the Cinemax to see Beat the Drum for our viewing pleasure, and we had the national anthem at the start, doesn't get anymore boring, still absolutely hilarious!

Was quite a good film, about a kid from a Zulu seeth-afreekan(accent) tribe whos family are all dying of Aids, but its also about how few people know the meaning of aids and they ignore it and so on, and he eventually ends up in Jo'Burg, begging and so on, blah blah, meet a guy on a truck and it was okay. Slightly too generic i thought, it won so many awards apparently and the script writing was pretty mundane and again, generic but i suppose if it gets more peopel in he know about AIDS, its a good thing.
Also, Georgie fell asleep on my shoulder, which mildly annoyed me as i was aware it was my place to fall asleep at inappropriate times.

Today then, was such a brilliant day! Poppy has loads of activities on the go for the nursery as she needs stuff to exhibition to try and fundraise, and today we did paint printing, which was so funny. We, needless to say got very messy and the kids even more so, and it all came to a head with the Kids showering down afterwards and Poppy fell flat on her arse in the shower.

Also nice is now Mosa and Mwangi actually can tell when they have peed themselves! I see some difference abound already! Mwangi almost looks proud of himself when he asks me to change him.

In general though, today was such a great great laugh, it was a mix of people falling over, Kids being nice and just a ncie atmosphere!

Heres to more days like today!

Tutaonana!

Lloyd



Advertisement



14th February 2007

Hello on Valentines day..ho hum!
Hi Lloyd ..you were quick off the mark with that latest blog,great to hear you're so positive with urine and child biting etc ...sounds like a bundle of laughs,,not !!!!!!!!!! Just got in from staff training , which was risk assessment and health and safety..mundane or wot...about to change to go for solitary walk as Jen gone to flicks, Dad in work...need to risk assess my walking clothing , route etc beofre leaving ..one never knows does one lol !!! Its' Valentine's day ..did you get any....not a sniff of one here th Jen made 140 quid outta selling valentine related books in school for the Prom ..all commmercial hype eh..we all know who we love don't we !!!
14th February 2007

brill reading
brill news again lloyd, finding it all so amusing you write exactly as you speak , keep up the excellent work you really sound as though your getting through to those children which is fantastic . Good on you boyo xxx

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb