T Shirt Suntan


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Coast Province » Mombasa
February 10th 2007
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hellew Ladies and Gentlemen hope everyone is doing well, i myself am feeling fit as a fiddle and ready indeed for the next installment of six nations action this evening. (ed-what a rubbish game!)
Say what you like about me, i like a bit o' culture.

Anyway, since the last blog much happenings have been a-going onand volunteering is coming along well too.
This weeks probably been my most full on week volunteer wise in terms of a whole week. Poppy wan't there for most of it cos she was sick so it was mostly me doing the nursery duties alone which was really cool, haven't really done it a lot but i feel i have made even more of a connection with the littlest kids.
Days are slightly of a blur but i can remember many cool incidents.
Highlights included-Me (never)falling alseep while holding Mwangi in my arms (he was asleep at the time and very sick and annoyed cos of Malaria), managing to save a frog from being beaten to death with sticks by Mary and Nelson yesterday(i dont know how it wasn't dead, they were battering it to hell and back i thought it was a stone or something), The class three knowing their times tables better and better all the time, Wanjeri especially.
A few of the kids have a) Malaria and b)chicken pox which has many symptoms and negative aspects obviously, but especially the little ones when they get feverish they get very agitated, Mwangi was so sick, writhing around on the floor, i think mainly from trying to make the fever go away cos he doesnt understand it, so i took care of him for virtually the whole morning of that day. Took Beatrice and Awino to the vct hospital also wednesday which was interesting, it seems so random and strange to me that the Kids get these things so easily but it raises barely a flicker on the staff, it shows how often it must happen. I think things might be getting better a little, ive seen quite a few campaigns by sports stars for Malaria nets, as an encouragement, hard to tell how many people can afford these things though.

Plus many other things, many which i cant remember, the week has passed by in a rush to be honest, but it has been really good at Dicksons.

I had a new Guy called Imraan in the room Monday was was really great after two weeks of sleeping alone since Lamu, seems like a nice guy. He also brought one bag just full of food, my type of guy and has some woman bringing him food often, random but cupcakes are surprisingly nice after a month without pastry based treats.
John also made a return after his Mt Kenya and masai safari trips, really good stories from him made me consider Safari more seriously, Masai sounds amazing although Lake Nakuru also looks good, and another one which is the second most popular but tbh i think any of them are cool, its just a matter of how i can travel, as Masai is virtually other side of Kenya.
Also nice to have a good welsh accent impersonator around, we tried mainly Gog this week but a lot of the time it turned out like Borat....NOT

Slightly less nice was the fact that the room fan had to spread across 3 people around 180 degrees, making life slightly searingly hot.

Really hot week as well, have been lucky with a few overcast days buit it was humid all week and boiling in the house, the dinner room gets so overheated you end up sweating while consuming the chapati.

Plenty of social goings on this week as well, although it has been quite chilled in comparison, i feel comfortable enough now just to read my paper/economist and listen to music but we managed to get up to going bowling at the Cinemax where the cinema is. Also went out for a top night out Friday with Nic, Han and Poppy and the American army guys who told us about Satan in Lamu. Despite the fact the club consisted of mainly old white, greasy white men and underdressed 'ladys of the night' i managed to escape too much attention as i was with the girls the whole time and we managed to have a quite relaxed time, although i doubt whether id go there again.

Looking forward to relaxing again tonight and carrying on with reading Crime and Punishment and finishing my hand washing,go me.

Kwa Heri

Lloyd

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb