What a start!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Central Province » Nanyuki
January 8th 2024
Published: January 9th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Some airport dramas with overweight bags but we were on our way without too much stress (and also without socks) before we made a couple of quick stops at airstrips along the way. We arrived at Nanyuki and were picked up by our guides. Some bumping and ‘African massage’ before we checked in to Ol pejeta conservancy and were on our way for ‘not a real game drive’ to get to our accommodation.

Well, the ‘not real’ game drive turned out to be pretty unreal, stumbling across a lioness with a freshly killed zebra - she was full of panting with the meat sweats and the zebra was, well, neither full nor panting.

Next stop was a white rhino who was busy sniffing a scent left by a female. All seemed well and good until we apparently did something to offend him and he came charging at us - our lives and his impossibly long horn flashing before our eyes. We survived to arrive at camp for some lunch, watching a massive herd of buffalo arrive at the waterhole for a drink and some wallowing.

A short rest and some hyena watching from our balcony and we were on our way for a ‘real’ game drive. Before long, we spotted the Porini pride - 14 beautiful lions out for a stroll and roll in the grass. We were able to watch them and follow them as they went about their evening business for quite a while. They were delightful to watch - the cubs played with each other and the females were intent on licking everyone while the juvenile males made it clear that they were keeping an eye on us, even though their dads were away.

Some giraffes, lots of zebras, many DTWT (henceforth the term for all gazelles, impala and their ilk, ha, not elk). Lots of pumbas and even some hyenas to join the party. What could make this better you ask?! A gin and tonic in the middle of the plain I say! Ok then! So we had sundowners surrounded by curious animals looking on. What a way to start our week-long safari!

Will update with photos when we have better internet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb