Day Forty-Four; Friday, April 18 '08


Advertisement
Guinea's flag
Africa » Guinea
April 18th 2008
Published: April 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Woke up in the morning and went to Christ Orphanage. The kids didn't have class today so we sang and they played with my hair for a solid three hours which was both wonderful and disgusting at the same time...problem is I know EXACTLY where their hands have been.

Some EXCITING news from the orphanage; Emily's parents donated money to Christ for her birthday! With the money Raymond was able to buy a temporary school building to use until the new orphanage goes up! THE KIDS HAVE THEIR OWN SCHOOL BUILDING! It's such a wonderful blessing and such a great feeling to know that one small gesture can change the lives of so many children and can make a huge impact on Raymond, one of the kindest people I've met. They should be moved in by Monday.

I swear the weather is getting hotter and hotter which makes it hard to want to move. We sat around playing cards all afternoon. It's way too hot to do anything.

We went to a funeral in the evening but met beforehand at Malaysias with the locas. We piled into a tro tro to go to the nxt town over. Funerals here are crazy. The whole town goes nuts. People chant and march in the streets. The bars are crazy with loud music and dancing. We met the family of the decedent which was really sad, but they were so incredibly kind. They offered us pure water and insisted that we eat banku with them. Funeral colors here are black and red for young funerals and white and red for older funerals.

After awhile, Jahwill told us to get in the tro tro to go home. Hope, Diana, and I got in and fell asleep. When I woke up I was super upset because time had elapsed three hours and we were STILL in the tro tro. It was awful. We finally left and got home in time to see the sun rise.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb