Books of the term


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana
October 31st 2009
Published: October 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Books read:
In Ghana i have had excessive amounts of free time even though im in class and travelling a lot. This is because there has been little class work if any required. Consequently i have had A LOT of time t oread for pleasure read. The books i read are always tied some how to my experiences, or my perceptions of what is happening. So, i will give you a list of the books ive read, and if you read them maybe you will see a little more of my experience here.


The heart of Darkness: Conrad ( not my favorite)

Daughter of Fortune: Isabel Allende ( beautifully written, good for women t oread)

The Time Traveller’s Wife: Audrey Niffengger ( a life changing book, i think in part because of the events of my life while i was Reading it)

The Shadow of the Sun: Ryszard Kapuscinski ( look for this book if you want a very accurate and enjoyable account of several african nations in the last century.)

Deer hunting with Jesus: Joe Bageant ( a very interesting, politically charged account of life in the south. A great debate starter, something the whole family should read!)

Cry, the Beloved Country: Alan Paton ( the writing here is gorgeously poetic, its one of my all time favorites)

Brave New World: Aldous Huxley ( vary interesting after having lived here, a good contrast between the imagined developing world and reality)

The life of PI: Yann Martel ( a classic)

On The Road: Jack Keroac ( this text is good for Young travellers who cant seem to find ‘the right place’)

The Hungry Cyclist: Tom Kevill-Davies ( an exciting account of cycle touring the americas)

The Other Hand: ( an absolutely life changing book, i read it in 2 days and reccomend it to all)

The African Child: (A good look into the village life and familial relations in Africa)

Where there is no Doctor- A village health care Guide for Africa: David Werner ( Very good if you need to make simple diagnoses)

The Autobiography of an African Patriot: Joesph Appiah ( an account of an anti colonial politian)

Shantaram: Gregory David Roberts (a 900+ page Indian saga exciting enough to get you through even the worst malaria induced boredom. It makes india my next visiting place!)

Geldof in Africa: Bob Geldof (This is the pop singers personal diary of his time in africa, comeplete with some painfully hard truths about the continent and its presently unstable state. )

Purple Hibiscus: Chimamanda ( a nigerian story about how being devoutly religous does NOT guarentee that one is a good person.. very interesting especially in the extremely religous Ghanaian context.)



I deeply enjoyed all of these books, which is perhaps why i went through all 17 of them already. I think this is all that i have read, but im not even certain of that. If you can only read one, then read The Other Hand. The author is Chris Cleave, its a new book with a beach and a child in shadow on the cover. READ IT NOW!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



1st November 2009

great pictures
Thanks for the great pictures MarMar. You look very happy! Love you, Momba
4th November 2009

Book Reading
Wow! You read a lot of books. You must have had a plethora of time on your hands. Several of the books seemed very interesting, especially the ones you described as "life changing". Right now my reading is devoted to my Abnormal Psych book (very detailed) and my German reading and workbook assignments. Maybe over Christmas vacation I'll have time for some "leisure" reading. All is well here. I've talked to Brenae (in Texas) several times over the last few weeks. She's doing very well in her college classes and is enjoying her Nanny job. She's signing up for next semester's classes--Math, Social Studies, English class, and Biology. These are classes she needs to complete the basic requirements to become a Junior at a four year college. Right now she's at a 2-year college. She's coming here during the Christmas vacation, just about the same dates you'll be in Wisconsin. Gosh, that's only about 6 weeks away. Take Care! Much Love!
19th November 2009

cape coast!! isn't the canopy walk cool?? the boys i went with were freaking out - probably because they're taller and actually could tip over the side if they tripped - but very funny haha! oh marla I'm so jealous, i want to travel too! but instead i have two 20-page essays that i havent started on due in under two weeks, amongst other things...... quite a shock after uni of ghana's workload :P anyways hope you're doing well - see you've had malaria, hope you're better! i somehow avoided that one even without a mosquito net, might be because i had about a total of 10 bites during the whole semester... they don't like me.. enjoy your last weeks in the sun!! xxx ps daughter of fortune and the time traveller's wife are two of my favooourite books :)

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb