Glorious Ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana
January 21st 2008
Published: January 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, now that i am in Nigeria with access to an internet connection i can write up Ghana.

The moment we entered Ghana from Burkino Faso we could tell the difference immediately. The signs were all in English, along with the shouts of welcome from the locals as i drove along. No more begging are requests for "gifts".

We got to Kumasi in the evening, which i found to be a rather pleasant, if not run down (in parts) town. We stayed in the Presapatarian church hotel, which was very clean and even had UK power sockets! (so laptop owners were pleased to recharge the batteries).

In the morning we all ventured out to see what we could. The palace museum (built by the British for the king as they felt guilty for burning down his previous residence), the cultural centre, the sword in the stone (to be found in the grounds of the hospital) where rumour has it that Ghana will collapse if it is removed. - Something Muhammed Ali luckily did not put to the test as he couldn't do it when he visited many years ago. I also visited the military museum at Kumasi Fort, which not only gave an incite into how badly Britain treated Ghana (they did fight for us in both World Wars) but how they have been to all of the nasty parts of the world as piece keepers, and the myriad of weapons they have taken from the local fighters. - The range of machetes and throat slitting long curved knives from Rwanda were the most horrifying after seeing how many western guns they had.

After Kumasi we headed to Bushua on the cost - and relaxed at a nice little place called Alaska. (The foreign owner tried mining there but failed and finally settled in Ghana instead). The beach was lovely with some surf to play around in.

After a few days there we headed towards Accra (to get out Nigeria visa's) and stayed at a place called Big Milly's in Krokrobite. The beach wasn't as nice as the fishermen hauled boats and nets in and out of the water so you couldn't swim. (Oh yes, and local children using it as a toilet rather put off most people too). However, there was a fantastic Italian restaurant just around the corner, serving huge pizza's at a very good price! (7 Cds - cheaper than in Bushua and twice the size). Suffice to say that i had lunch and dinner there most days 😊

I also bought a new short sleeve shirt (it's very bright and fits in with the local wears nicely) and some thin trousers - like pj's - that are bright orange with black fish on them - who could ask for more for a couple of pounds sterling..!???

After Accra we headed across into Togo.

We were sad to say goodbye to Ghana. The beach at Bushua was amazing and the Italian restaurant in Krokrobite was a most welcome treat. Lots of foreigners are building beach properties and hotels along the coast, so get there while you can before it costs a fortune and the quiet magic is lost.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb