Christmas 2007!


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana
January 12th 2008
Published: January 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Christmas With The StudentsChristmas With The StudentsChristmas With The Students

We have a very big yard. We had two games of soccer soccer going at a time!
Christmas 2007

You may be familiar with bible story (Luke 14:16-21) of a rich man who prepares a banquet. He sends out an invitation to all of the prominent people around town. Sadly nobody has the time to attend. In the end people from the highways and byways, the crippled, blind and lame, those that society has forgotten are invited and enjoy the bountiful banquet. That is the illustration that comes to mind when comparing the last two Christmas parties I’ve prepared for. Annie, we did the Christmas Party of ’06 all wrong girl!

Christmas ’07 I left the town people out and invited all of the students to our house for two days and a night. Oh boy, what fun we had! We hung ropes in the trees to be used as swings; we played soccer, volleyball, horse shoes, bad mitten, and Frisbee. Then we decorated the cashew and palm nut trees with balloons of all sizes and colors! We gathered around a bonfire in the evening and taught them how to make, and most importantly EAT, Smores. The sugar highs lasted only 30min or so and then most were ready for bed!

While transporting the students
Daniel a 6th grade studentDaniel a 6th grade studentDaniel a 6th grade student

Daniel won the jackpot. The most prized and largest balloon of the pack.
to our village, we possible broke some world records for overloading the cars. We had 15 kids in the 5 passenger Toyota and 23 in the 7 passenger SUV! As you can imagine space was tight. So tight that we had students, Robert and Daniel, sticking out the sun roof! I wish my camera wasn't so tempermental! Of course it's working great now.

The following week we hosted our director (Samuel Dunya) and his family for a few days. We had prepared for a group of 5 and had a bit of a scramble when 9 showed up! Kirk had said, “The ladies should make the arrangements.” I didn’t heed his advice. Lesson learned. All in all, we were well fed, each had a place to sleep and we all had a great time.

We have been friends with the Dunya’s for many years. The four of us met while serving together as crew on board the Mercy Ship, Anastasis in the early 90’s. Our relationships have developed into marriages and lasting friendships over the years. Samuel (Ghanaian) and his wife Janhild (from the Farrow Islands) are a blessing to work with and to serve under. We thank
They All FitThey All FitThey All Fit

Then we added three more 15yr olds!
the Lord for their vision and lasting commitment to the people of Ghana!

Our Ghanaian friends and neighbors were so very generous this year. A few of the Christmas Gifts We Received:
3 Crates of Eggs - We are talking “crates” not “dozen”. In Ghana a crate consists of 30 eggs. Multiply that by 3, then add in the crate that I bought when preparing for the Dunya’s. Do the math and you get … 120 eggs! By the time the eggs arrived all of the Christmas baking had been done. Once the visitors leave how long will it take a family of 4 to consume so many eggs? We’re still working on them!
2 Stalks of Plantain -this is similar to a banana but not sweet and not edible unless cooked. One stalk generally consists of 20-30 “fingers”.
2 Chickens - these two birds have been “on the menu” a couple of times now. Lucky for them something comes up and the “menu” changes. Guaranteed, their day will come.
Baskets and Sacks FULL of oranges - they were endless and oh so sweet! We also received a bag of sugar, 4 cans of milk, 2 cartons of juice,
The Dunya BatallionThe Dunya BatallionThe Dunya Batallion

All of us with all of them.
a tin of cookies, and a sack of rice...etc. Not the standard American Christmas Gifts 😊

In most of the world Christmas is long gone. For us, it lingers on as Christmas cards now begin to fill our post box. But no worries about them being late. For us, it just extends the warmth and appreciation of the Christmas Season. Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, gifts and encouraging words. You add “fuel to our fire” and spur us to carry on in our work. We appreciate each and every one of you tremendously!

Have a Blessed Week
Christine & Co




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

TiredTired
Tired

Students Cynthia & Angelina were my helpers. By the time Christmas was over, we were all tired.


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb