Home


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Volta
June 25th 2008
Published: June 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sooo...we flew standby because it was saving each of us about two grand each. This means that if all the seats on a plane were purchased that we would be booted to the next flight. We arrived at the Atlanta airport at 5 am on Saturday and got booted off of three flights before we finally got in the air and made it to New York City. By this time, we had missed the one flight to Accra, Ghana...we spent the night on the outskirts of the city, ordered some beautiful New York pizza and cheesecake and then we slept...for a good twelve hours. We left New York at 5 pm on Sunday. After an eleven hour plane ride and a four hour time change we landed in Ghana at 8 am, Ghana time. The flight was amazing and horrible all at the same time. The plane food was actually great. I have never been out of the country before so flying over the ocean was an amazing experience for me. And of course, since we flew at night, I just stared at the stars. We watched a couple of movies and tons of television and slept just a little.

We landed on the tarmac in Accra and were shuttled to the nearest door. The African soccer cup was in Ghana this year, so the airport was plastered with posters and signs in support. We went through customs, gathered our luggage, and made our way outside. Since we were supposed to arrive a day earlier, we were not sure if Reverend Simon would be waiting on us or not. We walked outside to tons of people and he was there with our names on a sign thankfully. The ride to Denu from Accra was roughly three hours. There are ant hills the as tall and me, and Rev Simon informed us that they do bite. We went through about three police checkpoints on our way. I am not really sure what they were checking, but they talked to us at almost all of them.

When we finally got to Denu, the house that we were supposed to stay at was almost unreachable. It had rained so hard that entrances were flooded. Rev Simon and Chas, the local program director told us to stay away from such puddles. Long story short, after driving around a bit, it was decided that we would stay with Chas and his family.

We have visited three schools since we have been here. We were stationed at one, actually we have the syllabus and school books so that we can make our class plans. But we found out just a few minutes ago that we are going to be switched to a smaller school that is closer to the house. I am running out of time, so that is all for now. I will give more details later!


-Emily

Advertisement



30th June 2008

Hi!
There should be no "long story short" i want to hear everything! I miss you guys terribly! Have Fun!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb