Gone to Ghana: My African Adventures


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Teshie
December 8th 2014
Published: December 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

December 8, 2014



Six months in Ghana and I haven’t experienced a week as crazy as last week till last week. First of all, we’ve been trying to fix glitches in our “Save our orphanage” campaign. Then we had an event at the orphanage that resulted in Dream Africa firing a teacher. Then we had some scary, yet what ended up being false, news. Some of the volunteers were taking children to the hospital, and the doctors told them that one of the girls tested HIV positive. She also has a younger brother, so we had to get him tested too. Finally on Friday we found out that neither of them is HIV positive. On top of all of that there are only 10 volunteers in the house, so we’re all stretched thin and taking on extra work with the campaign and other things that need to get done. Flora (from Austria) and I we’re working on creating and typing up exams for the end of the first term at the orphanage. All in all, this last week was insane!



We all needed a nice relaxing weekend, so we went to Ada Foah. I was the only volunteer who had been there before. Sun, swimming, games of scrabble in multiple languages, and other means of relaxing were prominent in our lazy, fun weekend. Exactly what we needed.

Happy birthday to my big brother Jacob!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Scrabble in multiple languagesScrabble in multiple languages
Scrabble in multiple languages

Aussie and Scottish English were used along with Dutch, German, and Spanish in our different games
Dominika and NessyDominika and Nessy
Dominika and Nessy

Just so you know Nessy is a nickname because her Scottish name is to hard for any of us to say correctly.
Circ-circ-circ-circ-circle!Circ-circ-circ-circ-circle!
Circ-circ-circ-circ-circle!

Nicole acting as the mate in our trotro. The mate of a trotro leans out the window calling out the name of the place of destination. The circle call is the most distinct, especially with the hand gesture.


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb