Wli Waterfalls


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
September 13th 2010
Published: September 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well I've been away from the blog for a couple days now and have a few new adventures under my belt. On Friday after a short outreach in a nearby village, I took a cab to the Accra Mall where I was to be picked up by a Czech woman, Martina, whom I had met at dinner on the previous Tuesday. While waiting I went inside the very westernized shopping center and had a very western cheeseburger, fries and coke. This was a nice change from the typical Ghanaian rice and fish.

I was eventually picked up by Martina in her company owned 4x4 pickup and was additionally accompanied by Hafen, an atmospheric scientist originally from California. The three and a half hour drive took us outside the hustle and bustle on Accra and into the scenic, peaceful and mountainous Volta Region in the southeast quadrant of Ghana. It was storming on the way to our destination and the last hour was in the dark, on a very cratered road through some fairly lush vegetation, somewhat reminiscent of Jurassic Park. The Buick Park Avenue wouldn't have been able to complete this journey for this journey.

We ended up staying at the Mountain Paradise resort, a beautiful place on a mountain top overlooking some stunning landscape. We met a group consisting of people from South Africa, Spain, England, Portugal, and France and stayed up until aroud 1 talking, drinking and listening to music. The next day we made the 45 minute drive to Wli Falls, where after a rigourous two hour hike up a steady incline and in the rain we made it to the waterfall. The adverse weather conditions prevented us from swimming at the base of the fall but the hard work was worth the view. Its now two days later and my legs are still almost too sore to climb stairs.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb