hello from ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
November 9th 2008
Published: November 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

hi all from Ghana

well what can i say - not sure where to start! the weather is hot hot hot. been here a week now and only starting to get used to it.
I am staying in a small village called agomeda. The living accommodation is basic to say the least. There is no running water - showering consists of a bucket and cold water - i ahve never experienced being so dirty but this is nothing compared to how these people live. we have to tip water down to loo to flush it! We are woken up at 4am by the mosque and the chanting, shortly followed by the cockrels. There are chickens and goats that freely wander about. We usually get up at between 5 and 6 to be at the orphanage by 7am. There are currently 20 children at the orphanage aging between 0 and 18 years. There are 4 children with special needs who were abondened but their parents, 8 boys aged 11 to 18, 6 girls aged 11 to 18 and 12 under 11. Orphanage Africa has been changing and is now know as Orphan Aid Africa. The organisation works with UNICEF to try and rehome the children with extended families. They are also working with the community to shut down other orphanages and get them to follow suit in their policies. The work they are doing is so important in trying to change the current systems.

All the children attend school in the village. The village had about 150 children,. The school is a concrete base and roof - there are no walls between the class rooms and children come and go freely, most stay as they so want to learn and educate themselves. I am teaching a class of 15 aged between 6 and 15 - there sould be a teacher but he rarely turns up and it is left to the volunteers to carr out the classes.
Many of the children have to work the afternoons in the fields with their parents to earn money. On the way to work every day we see children carrying water on their heads for the family. After school the children either work in the fields or walk the streets selling water, fish, fruit etc.
The children have nothing, on my first day only half my class had a pencil and those that sis have a pencil it was blunt, so i bought them all a pencil of their own and scratched their name in to it.

I have managed to find an internet place in a town about 6 km away - but down be illusioned the access is on and off and is very slow.

At our accommodation we have electric but only for about 2 hours a day - failing that we use torches and candles.

There is so so much to say...

The village we are in consists of mud huts and shacks - literally. On arrival at the village we were taken to the chief to introduce ourselves, with out his permission we are not allowed to stay in the village.
Yesterday we were invited to meet a lady who had just given birth the day before, she gave birth in a one room house which she shares with her husband and 4 year old son. Her milk had not come through so her sister was breast feeding the baby for her.
So many stories......
The people are so wonderful despite the poverty they will do anything for you and are all so friendly. The children come up to you to touch you are they don't see many white people and chant 'White Lady' as you walk down the street.

Anyway - will try and sign in again soon to keep you updated.

This really is the most amazing, humbling experience of my life.

Take Care

Emma



Advertisement



10th November 2008

Hi Emma, keep up the good work No.5
12th November 2008

bless..... white lady!!
hiya babes, sounds as tho ur having a wonderfull time! i can not wait to catch up wiv u properly, and here all ur stories. ur nearly half way through now, and i expect there will b tears when u leave! i got quite emotional just readin ur blog!! take care my darlin, and capture every smile..... lol always , ur friend kathy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb