Off to Cape Coast


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Central » Cape Coast
July 7th 2009
Published: July 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wren here: Today, after accomplishing the feat of eating five whole mangoes for breakfast, we left Kumasi for Cape Coast. Before our bumpy five hour bus ride to Cape Coast, though, we had the pleasure of a 40 minute car ride to the bus station with Ralph, Rachel, Wren, and Anna all crammed into the back seat, intensley humid, 90 degree weather, Ralph and Wren in long pants, and... windows that couldn't open!! The smell in the car was quite potent and, combined with the heat, it made for a tough ride. Anna was quite close to fainting I think. By the time we got to the station, our clothes were literally drenched in sweat. But, on the other hand, it made what we would usually consider the hot and humid outdoors feel almost like winter! The bus ride was interrupted halfway to Cape Coast because we had to walk over a bridge across a river to a different bus on the other side since the bridge couldn't hold our bus. There was also a sign that said, "If cars contain deceased bodies, you must perform rites before crossing the bridge." The next bus had some great Ghanaian music. One of the songs was saying something like "Psycho Babble, Psycho Babble" in a high operatic voice. Very interesting. We got to Cape Coast safe and sound and went to meet one of George's friends who was supposed to show us around. It turns out he had no idea where our hotel was or where anything else was for that matter, but luckily our taxi driver knew where to find it. We are staying in the Hans Cottage Botel (I'm going to assume that's Boat and Hotel mixed), which is very nice and has it's own lake/pond with a real crocodile! I do feel slightly disconnected from the real Ghana here, but the gecko I foudn in my shoe helped some. We had a great time at dinner, trading scary stories with Ralph and talking about eating different kinds of animals. As far as we can tell, Ralph has eaten them all, except for dog (even giraffe, iguana, and cat!). Ralph is an amazing guy with lots of character. We're so, so lucky to have him. Also, we found out that Obama is actually going to speak here in Cape Coast as well as in Accra, so we may go try to see his speech on Saturday. This reminds me of something George said when we were in Accra, "You know, though, Obama is really like a coconut." (Hint: think 'Oreo cookie').

Ok, and now, for you Mama, a little more of a description of Ghana in general. There are very strong smells everywhere we go. Some good, some bad, some completely unidentifiable. Many of the roads are dirt, with lots of pot holes. Traffic is absolutelyl insane. Cars are within inches of another car before they brake. There are lots of buses (more like vans) called Tro-Tros and lots of taxis. Honking is almost constant - people honk to switch lanes, honk at people in their way, at other cars who slow down, at their driver friends, and often just for fun. There are people selling things all along the road. Women are weaving in and out of the crowded streets carrying food, laundry, and groceries on their heads with incredible grace and strength. The are lots of brightly painted houses and many that are only partly completed. Some houses in the villages are made out of mud (I'll try to get some pictures for you, Eric!). There are shops selling fabric, car parts, food, etc. Most of them have names like "God is Powerful Motors" and "Jesus Gives Us Life Electricals." My favorite is "My God Key Service." It is truly amazing to be able to experience this place up close.

P.S. My dear father would also like you to know that he has found lots of cool tree frogs, snakes, lizards, and bugs. He has pictures and will show you when we get home!

Advertisement



8th July 2009

car parts
Hey , maybe you could bring some car parts home and we can install them on the truck. Anything will do. Also bring back some bags of smells or smelly things. This a cool blog! You must be spies, you are going everywhere.
8th July 2009

You said the f word
Now that you said it, you need to bring Grandma some "Baby Jesus Rocks Fabric"
8th July 2009

5 hr bus ride
hello dear family! thanks for the great descriptions Wren! can't wait to see the pictures.....5 hr bus rides seem like the going thing these days...as you remember the 5 hr bus ride to Huatusco....very uneventful compare to yours though!!...can relate to the mangos..I've never tasted something so wonderful as the ones we had in Mexico....was so fun to see where you all had been...got lots of pictures there.....tomorrow John/Adrienne/Odelia leave for Costa Rica and a 5 hr bus ride from Vera Cruz to Monteverda...that will be my next trip!! love and hugs, kappy
8th July 2009

Thanks!
Oh, it sounds soooo wonderful. But now I want to hear more about Kumasi -- you skipped that part... Also, Anna you should send a postcard to your Orthodontist: Berkinshaw Orthodontics, 129 Old Solomons Island Road, Annapolis, MD 21401 to try to win the postacrd contest....And you should go see Obama, not to see him, but to see the people-scene where he speaks...So cool. We miss you all back here. The strawbale crew have been asking about you, Wren. We are pretty much done with bale assembly. Cobbing starts tomorrow. Plastering this weekend. Sonya and Zoe want to come the 18th... Love you all.
8th July 2009

Listen to Grandma!
Anna, this is to you. How about getting out pencil and paper and sketching some of those African women carrying things on their heads? YOU CAN DO IT. Hang in there. Wren, we can hardly wait for the next installment. When Obama arrives in town we will watch CNN to spot 4 pale faces among all those beautiful African faces. Grandpa's birthday is tomorrow (Thursday). Please, sing Happy Birthday to him in Africa. He would be honored. He will be 85. Drink lots of water. Grandma
8th July 2009

sounds awesome and delicious! Mangos and the scenery/culture! I am regrouping for Liberia so you can use all your Africa experience again. Can't wait to hear first hand...safe travels, Linda
9th July 2009

Hey guys
Wren- your stories are delightful--vivid and entertaining-- I, too love the notion of "My God key service" BBC news here is talking up Obama's visit. Can't wait to hear if yuo all get to see him. Sounds like the adventures just keep on coming. As laways, I am envious of your experiences. Continue to enjoy and love to all of you. K-A
10th July 2009

Margins
Wren--I love your accounts of Ghana. Keep it going. We wait with baited breath for the next installment. A mild suggestion--If you can make your margins slightly wider, I could read it without having to move the curser back and forth with eachline. I don't know how to contract your blog, and maybre you don't either. jWe love you and are glad you are having such an interesting time. lBobby
11th July 2009

We finally reached a place where we could pull up your blog. What an interesting trip you're having...and we thought being in Alaska was exciting. I like the names of the businesses, too, so here's my wish to you. God watch over you.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb