Axum - Queen Sheba and the Arc of the Covenant


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia
February 5th 2008
Published: February 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Fallen StellaeFallen StellaeFallen Stellae

This obelisk fell immediately upon the first attempt to erect it. It never stood because the base was too small. It would have been the largest stellae in the field.
Axum is a very interesting place full of history that has yet to be discovered. Little of Axumite history has been uncovered by archaeologists (only about 4%) but it is believed that the Axumite Empire rivaled the Egyptians.

There are several churches and monestaries in the surrounding area including the church that is believed to be the resting place of the legendary Arc of the Covenant. Of course no one is allowed to see the Arc and there is a single guard that is chosen by the church.

We also visited the baths and palace that are believed to have been used by Queen Sheba.

The stellae are large obelisks that were raised as grave markers and obviously the larger the obelisk the more important the grave. Recently one of the obelisks that was stolen by Mussolini was returned to its original site. There is a huge construction project that is attempting to replace the obelisk without causing the others to fall.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Water girlWater girl
Water girl

Collecting water from Queen Sheba's bath.
BikeBike
Bike

Not ours by the way...
Under constructionUnder construction
Under construction

The existing stellae is being supported while a new foundation is being created to raise an obelisk that was returned from Italy.
Discovery of the MacciatoDiscovery of the Macciato
Discovery of the Macciato

Even better than Ethiopian coffee is the Macciato!


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb