Rock Hewn Churches


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Amhara Region » Lalibela
February 12th 2008
Published: February 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bet AmanuelBet AmanuelBet Amanuel

Considered one of the most finely carved churches in Lalibela. Now ruined by UNESCO's ugly pillars and roof that do little to protect the chuch.
Tigray and Lalibela are home to the famous rock-hewn churches of Ethiopia. Rock-hewn means that the chuches were literally carved out of the cliffs and volcanic rock formations rather than built up. While not as famous or spectacular, the Tigray churches are very interesting and likely pre-date the Lalibela churches (11th Century).

We also made a day trip from Lalibela to see Yemrehanna Kristos church which was built into a cave and demonstrates fascinating Aksumite architecture. The drive to get there was a harrowing 2 hour journey on bumpy, narrow, dusty, winding mountain roads. Not really designed for an overland truck but we made it!

Some of the sites at Lalibela were a little disapointing because of the structures that UNESCO has built to supposedly preserve the churches. They are not very pleasing to the eye, and will do little other than protect the roof of the structures from weather. The roofs do not overhang enough to protect the sides from sun or driving rains and the pillars supporting the roof have been grotesquely placed within the trench dug around the church rather than outside the trench as was reportedly part of the initial plans. Still pretty amazing churches that were definately worth seeing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb