Egypt Travel: scams, security, hygiene


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt
October 25th 2008
Published: October 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Just returned from 10 days in Egypt. Be prepared for heavily armed police and soldiers throughout the visit. There are more Police and heavy weapons presented than in any country I have ever visited; security is very tight.
Do not, under any circumstance, accept an offer from someone, including Tourist Police, to take your photo. They will not give you back the camera unless you pay them a fee...some of our group had their cameras held, by Tourist Police, until they gave them $40.00. They will target tourists with expensive cameras. The entire country works on demanding tips or payment for the slightest thing, even if you do not ask them to do something. Hold on to your luggage at all times...they will grab the luggage and then demand a tip when you take it back.
Hygiene is poor throughout the country. Bring your own toilet paper; never drink any water but bottled water and make sure you open the bottle. 20% of our tour group got ill while traveling there and some were bedridden for 4-5 days. Do not eat anything that is washed with water, ie, green salad, fruits.
When shopping be prepared for the bargaining experience. No one in the country understands the phrase, no thank you. Shopping is near a contact sport more than anything else. Normally I would purchase up to $800 dollars in items when traveling. This trip I purchased nothing due to the experience.
Do not be surprised if you hear anti american statements. When asked where I was from I responded Canada and they responded, 'Canada good, America bad'. This exchange happened to multiple members of our tour group and it was most uncomfortable.
Egypt has great photo opportunities and historic treasures. The actual experiences required to obtain them leave something to be desired....It is true when they say that it is a once in a life time trip. I do not know of many who would want to repeat the experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb