Cairo Calls


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt
August 23rd 2010
Published: August 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The pen calls to me again. Well, really the keyboard and free and fast internet, but does that sound romantic, I ask you? So, if I remember correctly, I left off quite awile ago in Tanzania. Now we are in another cradle of civilization...Egypt.
But, first and formost, I want to say that it was very difficult to say "kwa heri" after 2 years in TZ. We made some wonderful friends and came to appreciate another wonderful culture. And, living in the village is so different than living in Dar. So, we did close a chapter of a never-to-be-forgotten book and turned the page to another country and culture but on the same continent, yet vastly different. And, our role is different. We are now tourists, not residents.
Egypt gives way to so many images from the imaginary, ancient history, Biblical stories, and of real life adventures. From tombs and pyramids of an earlier civilization to neon lights and the bustle of a very big, modern city built around ancients treasures and the flowing lifeblood of the many civilizations, the Nile. The religious heritage is as monumental as the limestone and granite momuments. The religion is being practiced by Muslims, Coptics, and Christians alike. But, during Ramadon you can't help but notice the sacrifices that are being made. The waiter who brings you your food can't eat anything himself until sundown. The tour guide who talks about centuries of history can't even have a sip of bottled water even though it's 104 degrees and little shade. But, then witness the gaitiy and family fun of taking a sunset cruise on the Nile and being, not with tourists, but with local (albeit affluent) families who are celebrating the ending of their daily fast. The children are certainly enjoyed here.
People have been friendly and helpful here. The sights are incredible from the one remaining of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World, to an egret settling down on a lily pad looking for lunch. From a donkey cart hauling just about anything to a 737 taxing down the taramack. A lucious date palm dangling its sweet fruit on a hazy skyline with pyramids poling through. TV dishes atop every roof where loudspeakers can be herd calling the faithful to prayer.
Cairo is ancient, but modern with an infrastructure that transports the #1 source of economy - us tourists, back in time. It has been an amazing sight to see. We fly to Spain tonight and who knows what adventures we will share with the Kirks. Home is getting closer. love, Dave & Wendy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb