Edfu Temple


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt
February 20th 2008
Published: February 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Edfu Temple - PylonEdfu Temple - PylonEdfu Temple - Pylon

The Pylons of Edfu Temple, most intact temple in all Egypt, and second-largest after Karnak
Although not as well-known as Karnak, the Great Pyramid, or the Valley of the Kings - Edfu temple is well-known in Egypt for being the most intact temple. It was built during the reign of the Ptolemies over a century's time. It's great pylon is still standing at its full height.

The temple is dedicated to the God Horus - the god of protection - who takes the form of a while falcon. His image is depicted at a grand size on this pylon (large wall in front of the temple proper).

As I looked up at the pylon, a white bird flew out of one of its windows. One of Horus' servants perhaps?

We approached it at night, as it was lit up by spotlights. It was peaceful, and since it was twenty minutes prior to closing, no other tourists were there. Our small group was able to enjoy it on its own, and after being sequestered on a broken cruise ship for two days, there was a feeling of lightness and excitement to be on ground again.

Inside the temple, there is still a roof, which has been blackened from the stay of Christians. Christians actually took refuge in this building against the Romans, and their cooking fires blackened the ceiling and destroyed some of the artwork. They also chiseled out some of the gods' faces to show that these old gods had no more power. It was used as a rubbish heap by the Arab inhabitants of the town of Edfu for many years. After this, at some point, the entire temple was covered in sand so that only the tops of the pylons could be seen.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb