Valley of the Kings - sooo 'TOMBED' out right now...


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Valley of the Kings
November 15th 2012
Published: January 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Al-Deir Al-Bahari TempleAl-Deir Al-Bahari TempleAl-Deir Al-Bahari Temple

Jamace and Mo having a wee photo... such a cute wee couple... lol
I awake at 7.15 with a call. Fuuuuck! We were meant to be leaving at 7.15! I chuck on some clothes and hurry down to reception. Everyone is there, I apologize for my lateness. They're all good suprizingly. They tell me to grab some buns etc from
Reception for breakfast and before we know it we are on our way.

First up is Valley of the Kings. We drive past Luxor temple on the way. I find out on the way that they missed me on the wake up call list. Ahhhh! I see!! As we arrive at valley of the kings it's breath taking, so huge! We head in the entrance and are told we are not allowed cameras. Lame. Our pass only allows us to enter 3 temples. So we enter two of the Ramses tombs. The last one was the best. So huge with heaps of colours. There are heaps of holes in the rocks/cliffs around us. Mo tells us these are tombs. Cool!

After we are finished we all head back to the van and go to Al-Deir Al-Bahari Temple. This temple was built by her lover. It's so beautiful and has a Greek kinda
Tombs!Tombs!Tombs!

All the holes are different tombs found in the sand dunes/ cliffs.
feel to it... Oh don't tell Mo I said that. After exploring this we snap some photos and head back to the van. Next up is 2 massive statues... I honestly don't know what the story with these are, and neither did any of the others. We head back into the van and now we are off to Karnaks temple.

This temple is one of the best. It has the great Hypostyle hall. Which is like heaps of huge pillars in one area. It's pretty choice! We enter though and see a scarab statue that people say of you walk around it 7 times and make a wish it will come true. I didn't do it but Matt did. By now we are all tombed out, especially Jamace so when Mo says its time to go we all power walk it to the exit. It's so hot. Really not ideal.

We hop into the van, thinking ... Yay finally lunch, then we hear .. We are now off to the Papeus shop. Fuck. We get there and a man does a demonstration on how it's made. The easiest way to explain what it is - it's a plant
Hypostyle HallHypostyle HallHypostyle Hall

Beautiful detailed pillars.
thing shreded then they kinda plat it all together like you do with flax but they make it into a sheet, they then press it and wait for it to dry for like 6 days. Then presto, canvas to put whatever on. We're all in CBF mode but they bring welcome drinks in and next thing were all happy and refreshed.

We all purchase something. I spot a cartouse thing with the eye of Horus for protection. I get my sisters, her partners name and my nephew and niece names put into it. Gift for Xmas - from Egypt! Yay!

We now head off to lunch. We have lunch at a place call snack time. It was yummy I had fish and chips. Afterwards we all want to do different things so Ereni, James Tilly and I all walk through the market again. It's funny because Jamace is a fame whore and secretly loves the attention, well not secretly lol.

After walking through Ereni wants to look at shops by herself , so us three head back to the hotel. We are stuffed. Once we get back we wifi it up. And all arrange to meet on
The Two StatuesThe Two StatuesThe Two Statues

sadly, because we were so tombed out by now, we were not sure what the story was about these statues
the roof, which has a pool too at a set time. We spend the evening chatting away and listening to the atmospheric noise. We decide its dinner time at 10pm! So we walk back to snack time for a meal then walk back and head to bed. What a massive day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Papryus ShopPapryus Shop
Papryus Shop

Canvas made out of the traditional Papyrus plant
Xmas present  for the FamilyXmas present  for the Family
Xmas present for the Family

this man is painting my sisters, her partners, and my nephews and nieces names into the two Cartouses in hieroglyphs...


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb