Egypt - Cruising On the Nile - Ptolemaic Edfu Temple


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
October 17th 2012
Published: November 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday - October 17th - On the Nile from Luxor to Edfu


Am splitting up this day as entries as visited two different places and there are hundreds of photos of the Nile and sites of the Temples to share between them.

There is a videographer on board, Peter, and we give him a hard time whenever we can. He is very funny. We often feel like we really stick out..…tall blonde women travelling on our own. All the staff onboard and all the people we have met have been really amazing and kind.

Our guide Alaa, is incredible, very nice and very knowledgable. He has his masters degree and is a fountain of information. Only problem is I am worried about a test at the end of this. He likes to ask us questions to see if we are paying attention!

All the food onboard is incredible. Am taking tons of pictures from the upper pool deck as there is so much wonderful scenery cruising down the Nile. I go from one side to the other trying to get it all in. There are all kinds of boats on the Nile and people working from their boats. We pass one lady who is waist deep doing her laundry in the river. We are sailing up against the current, the weather is fantastic and the pool is a great way to cool off.

One day there were boats of 2 men per boat, called floating markets, that would row up beside the boats, tie themselves to it and pitch merchandise up on the boat to sell. This was truly fascinating to watch as they were so skilled in their boats. They would holler out "Hey Lady" and get your attention. They did pretty good the few times we watched them as they went from boat to boat and even carried this out during the dark.

This morning we visited the Ptolemaic Temple of Edfu dedicated to Horus the Falcon and are taken by a carriage through the streets to the temple site. Was very interesting passing the people going about their business in the streets and some were packed into vans. I wondered where they were going. Kom Ombo is in the afternoon and in the next entry. We have 60km to go to get to Aswan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 93, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb