Sunday


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
January 30th 2011
Published: February 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Luxor Temple 15 secs
Things are not settling down in Cairo. The tour company is keeping our guide informed as much as possible for now.

Wake up call came at 5am. We were to have breakfast and be ready at 6am to get in some tours in the morning. They want us back to the ship before afternoon prayers.

We were to have an armed guard travel with us. I guess it was decided it wasn’t need and we finally left for the first temple around 8:30am. There are at least a 100 ships docked at Luxor. I don’t know if this is normal or not. There might be more due to the problems in Cairo. To get to the shore you walk through the ships docked side by side. Some of the rows of ships are 12 deep. The ships are a safe place to be for now.

We started our tour at the Luxor Temple. You can see this temple from the ship. The street of Sphinx was recently found and it is in the process of being uncovered. The street goes from the Luxor Temple to the Karnak Temple. I'm not sure how far that is but all the buildings/homes have been removed for the excavation.

The picture with the Moroccan door shows how one church was built on top of another. Yes, that is a door.

We took a bus ride to the Valley of the Kings where the tombs are. There was a point in time when the pharaohs decided it was better to keep your tomb hidden under ground than inside a pyramid. We went into 3 tombs but no photos are allowed. Next came the Valley of the Queens where the queens and some of their children are buried.

The last temple we visited that day was the Al-Dier Al-Bahari temple built for Hatshepsut. She has a wild story but it’s too long to explain!

We took the water taxi back to the ship to get back before afternoon prayers. I guess we were running a bit behind. There were a couple camels by the water taxi. It's the closest I got to a camel!



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wall carvingWall carving
Wall carving

This picture is of a male and female. The sagging breasts symbolize fertility and the large stomach symbolizes wealth.
Painting on the wall by the RomansPainting on the wall by the Romans
Painting on the wall by the Romans

This was so clear and colorful.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb