Egypt Explorers: The Village in Luxor


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
July 6th 2009
Published: September 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our Kalesh DriversOur Kalesh DriversOur Kalesh Drivers

The boys kept saying Ferrari as they sped through the narrow streets!
After our visit to the Karnak Temple, we took an amazing ride by horse and buggy through the local village and market. Our drivers were two twelve year old boys who liked to drive fast and wreckless. I repeatedly asked them to slow down, so I could get better pictures, but they replied, "Ferrari" and laughed. I thought we would end up killing a few people before our ride ended! We did not have an inch to spare as we drove wrecklessly through their market. I felt terrible from disrespecting their space, but the Egyptians didn't seem to mind, and the boys enjoyed our fear. I guess they are used to the crazy tourists.

As we drove around Luxor, I felt so sorry for the children. None of them had shoes, and they filled the streets looking for something to do. They ran along our buggy begging us for money. The back streets were full of garbage. However, the tourists areas were emaculant. Mayer said they cleaned these streets twice a day, but they did not care what their village looked like since it was not the typical place toursists would visit.

We saw everything imaginable. Donkeys pulled carts
Village in LuxorVillage in LuxorVillage in Luxor

A play area for children.
and wagons full of produce. One cart I saw was full of huge blocks of ice. I am sure they had to use it for refridgeration since most families could not afford a refridgerator. Coffee shops were always full of men smoking hookahs. The Egyptians truely believe it is safe to smoke, and they do it quite often. The hookah operates by water filtration and indirect heat. It is used for smoking herbal fruits and tobacco, and is often considered to be healthier than smoking cigarettes, although recent studies have shown that it is just as detrimental to a person's health.

By Missy


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Children of LuxorChildren of Luxor
Children of Luxor

Children stay on the streets looking for something to do.
Luxor schoolLuxor school
Luxor school

This is the primary school in Luxor.
The local marketThe local market
The local market

Egyptians fill the streets of the evening to purchase their food.
The Luxor MarketThe Luxor Market
The Luxor Market

Baskets are filled with all sorts of spices for cooking and even doing laundary. The colors were so vivid
The Luxor MarketThe Luxor Market
The Luxor Market

Eggplant dishes are very popular in Egypt and very delicious!
The Luxor MarketThe Luxor Market
The Luxor Market

A huge pile of clay pottery for sale.
The Luxor MarketThe Luxor Market
The Luxor Market

This gentlemen scared us to death. He kept following us with this chicken and screaming in Arabic. We were not sure if he was going to kill the chicken right in front of us!
The Luxor MarketThe Luxor Market
The Luxor Market

In every coffee shop, we saw men smoking hookahs. The Egyptians believe this type of smoking will not harm your health.
The Luxor MarketThe Luxor Market
The Luxor Market

A wagon full of blocks of ice.
The streets of LuxorThe streets of Luxor
The streets of Luxor

This seems to be the place to socialize after the sun goes down a bit.
A typical coffee shopA typical coffee shop
A typical coffee shop

Women are definitely not welcome in coffee shops in Egypt! The men smoke hookahs in the coffee shops.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb