Luxor: Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut & Karnak Temple


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
April 18th 2009
Published: May 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

By midday we had reached Luxor and after stocking up on fruit and water I raced to the top floor of where we were staying where the hotel not only boasted magnificant views but also a pool and deck chairs. I became a tourist for the day and lay in the sun, sometimes it is nice to do these things 😊

Quote from my journal: 17th April 2009



'I feel really happy and content at the moment. From where I am standing on the 7th Floor, the city of Luxor is so beautiful. A huge expanse of life with scattered palm trees, pushing their lush colours through the haze of yellow brick houses, the colour of the desert. In the background the mountains and sand dunes dwarf the city, only just visable in the hazy heat. Mosque towers brave the skyline creating altogether an upmost glorious sight. It really is beautiful. The Nile to my right glitters and sparkles, feluccas and ferrys alike, carrying their local owners and far away foreigners, gliding through the waves, sails blowing. Beautiful.'

The next day we promptly left at 6am to drive the few hours to the Valley of The Kings. The Valley of The Kings holds 63 tombs and chambers which were made for important Kings and Queens for when they died. The tomb of Tutankamun is there also. After this we proceeded to the Mortuary Temple which was built by the most creative builder in Egypt in that time; Hatshepsut. She built the temple to remember the reign of the Pharaoh by whom they were built and also to house the Pharaohs after they had passed away.
By far though, the most impressive site we went to see that day was the Karnak Temple. This temple consists of chapels, ruins of temples, pylons and other buildings. It really is awe inspiring to walk around, gazing up at the colossal walls and colomns and trying to imagine what it was once like.

After this fully packed morning I once again rested by the pool for a few hours to prepare myself for the 8 hour bus ride to Hurghada, leaving at 5pm.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Will and IWill and I
Will and I

The guy I met from NZ.


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0793s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb