Row, row, row your felucca gently up the Nile.....


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Luxor
April 4th 2007
Published: April 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Other FeluccaOther FeluccaOther Felucca

We had 2 because of our numbers. That's the other one in the distance with the Nile scenery.
So I have just about managed to get my land legs back after the 2 days floating up the Nile. Basically all it consisted of was lying on a giant mattress in the sun while every now and again getting up to eat some of the wonderfully prepared food. I spent it polishing off 2 books and listening to alot of music. Fully recommended!

Ironically the only excitement was 30 seconds after I had thought to myself "Wow, I haven't been this relaxed since the Cruise last year", then the captain of the other felucca decided to tack towards us for some strange reason. We lay there and thought, "He'll realise he's coming straight towards us (and more importantly, me) and will move". Nope. I rolled out of the way and he clipped the back of us, ripped off our flags and fortunately didn't damage the rudder. I wasn't looking forward to swimming the 200m to the bank while watching everything I owned sink to the bottom of the crocodile-infested Nile!

We never found out the official reason why it happened. My theory is that the captain had had a bit too much 'special tobacco' in his lunchtime
Felucca #2Felucca #2Felucca #2

More Nile scenery
sheesha, either that or their sailing is as f$cked as their driving.

We eventually disembarked at the Temple of Kom Ombo, which would get the award for most picturesque setting for a temple, then onto Edfu, which gets the award for the most intact temple. By this stage, we were almost templed out but both were amazing in their own ways and fully recommend them.

Our next stop was back in Luxor, where we had 5 hours of rest before catching the night train back to Cairo, where 2/3 of the people will be leaving the trip. It will be sad, but 7 or 8 others are joining on and I think the Kiwi's will outnumber the Aussies this time! Bring on ANZAC Day! The next stop in our trip will be Mt Sinai, which will be packed because of Easter, and one of my highlights, Dahab, one of the diving capitals of the world. Nos vemos!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Glassy NileGlassy Nile
Glassy Nile

Water was good, although I didn't swim in it. Apparently the medical tests aren't worth it.
Nile sunsetNile sunset
Nile sunset

Red sky at night, shepherd's delight.
Nile sunset #2Nile sunset #2
Nile sunset #2

Even managed to get Venus in as well!
Temple of Kom OmboTemple of Kom Ombo
Temple of Kom Ombo

Another temple, great architecture that has stood the test of time.
Temple viewTemple view
Temple view

View from Kom Ombo temple, more Nile scenery really, but very peaceful.
Edfu templeEdfu temple
Edfu temple

Now this one was a monster, and you can see the engravings on here as well. They put novels inside these things.
Me at EdfuMe at Edfu
Me at Edfu

Proof I was there! One of the side temples.


Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 95; dbt: 0.1353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb